How to construct the heel?

Next
Hi guys

I've got a problem with constructing the heel of a girl shoe. As the whole shoe is free form, I've no idea how to build this heel into a solid in the way that it fits to the sole. I have some curves and tried to sweep it but never came to a solid at the end. i see the problem that the sweep ends not planar but because of the freeform sole, I don't know how to be able to sweep it planar and cut it afterwards so that the top shape of the sole is the same as for the heel. Any ideas from the forum?
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 261.4 KB, Downloaded: 44 times, Dimensions: 834x552px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6261.2 In reply to 6261.1 
Hi Gregor, you'll probably want to make the top profile of the heel to come from the edges of the sole so that you know that the sweep will come right up and touch the sole.

You can do that by selecting some of the edges from the sole and then use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V (copy/paste) to duplicate them as separate curves, then you'll know that something built to that come right up to the sole surface as you want it.

Then it sounds like your remaining problem is capping the top area of the heel? Sweep will only automatically cap ends that are planar. In your case here your top curve won't be planar so it won't be automaticaly capped but you can use the same curves you used as the top profile for the sweep as a cutting object in the Edit > Trim command to cut the sole surface, then that trimmed sole surface will become the cap for the sweep. Use Edit > Join to glue it on to the end of the sweep after you have trimmed it.

Let me know if that does not make sense.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael

I could not manage to draw curves that give me a planar surface and matches the sole. I did it now like that. First revolved the backside of the heel, made a planar surface on the bottom. Then I made a blend from one open heel edge to the other. Finally, I copied the sole surface and trim it with the heel surfaces. Then I got my solid.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6261.4 In reply to 6261.3 
Gregor

Do you still have a problem or have you solved it ?
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All