Cannot cut

Next
Hi,

I would like to cut the arch by a vertical plane but no reason why not cut. The cut is 7.5 mm. Can enybody help?
Moi 2.0

EDIT. Rhino can not handle too, only Solid works.

EDITED: 19 Oct 2013 by ANDRAS

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6227.2 In reply to 6227.1 
Hi Andras,

I don't understand what you want to cut, there are no intersecting surfaces and no closed curves the set up you have you can not trim anything can you explain a bit more on what you're trying to achieve?
Maybe a screen shot of the result your getting out of Solidworks might help.

-Danny
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6227.3 In reply to 6227.2 
Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply.
The flat plane intersecting the bended surface. Intersection is very minimal only 7.5 mm.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6227.4 In reply to 6227.3 
Sorry Andras still not getting it have you a marked up image or sketch?

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
There are two planes, but the arc only seems to project through the back one by 0.0049mm so it might just need pushing through a bit more.

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6227.6 In reply to 6227.5 
Ah yes! good pick up Martin however what's throwing me is the 7.5mm Andras is mentioning.

@ Andras, that 0.0049mm Martin mentions is below the tolerance that MoI handles and fails to trim if you need to trim under 5 micros then I suggest you scale everything by a factor of 100 then trim it and then scale back, I'm still not understanding where the 7.5mm is coming from have you got this part scaled correctly in the first place?

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6227.7 In reply to 6227.1 
Hi Andras, if I understand correctly you want to shave off this little slivery piece here:

It can be difficult for the intersection code to deal with cuts that are so thin that they're close to being coincident with an existing boundary.

It would work better if your cut was not so very close to an existing edge - you can get that in your case here by doing an "untrim" to recover the full larger surface which is there under the current trim boundary.

Before you do the untrim you'll want to duplicate the edge curve on the other side so that you can use it during the retrim as well, because when you untrim it, it will extend out past the other side as well.

So select that other opposite edge, and do Copy and then Paste to duplicate it, then select all edges (with one edge selected do Ctrl+A to select all), then push Delete to remove that trim boundary and "untrim" the surface, you'll now have an extended surface and you can now select it and run Trim, using the plane and the copied edge curve as the cutting objects.

I've attached a 3DM model file where I've done those steps except for the final trim so you can see how it looks. Use the plane and the curve as the cutting objects in the Trim.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6227.8 In reply to 6227.1 
Hi Andras, also like Danny mentions the area to be cut being numerically small is also part of the issue - when distances to be cut are too close to the intersection tolerance it can tend to make the cut sort of "glom on" to the existing boundary rather than being distinct.

One way to solve it is like I wrote above where doing an "untrim" to restore the full original surface can then be cut more easily.

But also if you scale your objects up by 100 times in size so that the width of the area to be cut is not such a small number then it can be cut in place without doing an untrim first.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6227.9 In reply to 6227.8 
Hello Michael,

Yes the scale probably was the issue and Model had been enlarged and worked fine, also cut was possible in small scale when I transformed into an Solid object. I will check untrim command later. Thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All