Nurb to quad poly

Next
I have an FBX nurb model and I need to convert it to a high quality quad poly model. I've read that this can be done using MoI with a Rhino 3DM file. Can anybody here tell me how that is done. I'm attempting to open the 3DM with MoI and it doesn't seem to recognize the geometry. The file appears to open but nothing is visible.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6206.2 In reply to 6206.1 
Are you saving the Rhino file from Rhino 5 or in a Rhino 3DM version 5 file?

I believe that MoI needs version 4. Give that a shot
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6206.3 In reply to 6206.1 
Rhino 5 3dms should open fine in MOI (even copy&paste from Rhino). MOI could only handle NURBS data though, so if you have got a 3DM file with some vertex data embedded, Moi can't actually read this. From what you described, i guess that might be the problem here. Could you upload/attach that file?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6206.4 In reply to 6206.1 
Hi Brad,

> I have an FBX nurb model and I need to convert it to a high quality quad poly model.

MoI can generate a high quality N-gon model, which is not the same thing as an "all quad" model. The meshes that MoI generates will be quads in untrimmed areas of surfaces, but there will be n-gons formed at trimming boundaries where any trimming curves slice away regions of the surface.

There isn't any way that I know of to directly convert a NURBS model into an all-quad polygon model, you would usually need to look at a retopologizing step in order to do that. Check out either 3D Coat, ZBrush, or Topo Gun for retopology tools.

> I've read that this can be done using MoI with a Rhino 3DM file.

You've probably read some incorrect information that was confusing an N-gon model with an "all quad" model.

An n-gon model will produce things like one single polygon for the top cap of a surface like this:

That gets one single big n-gon for the whole top cap. But it's not a quad, it's a many sided polygon. This kind of meshing generally produces the most lightweight poly structure possible with the fewest number of edges in it. An "all quad" mesh for a case like this would be considerably different, it would involve tiling the top face with a whole bunch of quads that tried to follow the general shape of the trimming boundaries.

Some of those retopology tools can help you to construct that kind of output.

> Can anybody here tell me how that is done.

It's done by using retopology tools.

> I'm attempting to open the 3DM with MoI and it doesn't seem to recognize the geometry. The file appears to open but nothing is visible.

That means that the 3DM file probably contains either only polygon mesh geometry or blocks in it rather than regular NURBS objects in it. MoI only reads regular NURBS objects out of 3DM files.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6206.5 In reply to 6206.1 
Hi Brad, also now that I read your message again I see that you mention FBX format. Although it's technically possible to have NURBS objects in FBX format, it's really quite rare. The vast majority of the time FBX is used to transfer polygon mesh data and not NURBS data.

So it's fairly likely that you actually have a polygon mesh FBX model and not really a NURBS FBX model like you wrote.

MoI only opens NURBS data and not polygon mesh data, if you have polygon data you need to open that with a polygon modeling program instead of with MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=20481519

Here is a link to a free (?) converter. It includes FBX to OBJ conversion.
(Never used it)

- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
when you have the Obj file from Moi
you can use that ;)

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All