please help me understand this

Next
Im watching some youtube videos. mainly on automotive modeling which I would like to do, they use this technique to blend 2 surfaces together but I don't quite understand what going on, mainly cos language difference and is not moi 3d.
but maybe its possible to do something similar a different way.

I took some screenshots

firstly two surfaces not connected intersecting

at this point seems to lay plane over top

plane gives impression surface is blended, even tho geometry is still underneath

final frame is like this, this I see often sometimes on car models.

this is me trying to understand and duplicate what I see. I projected curves then sweep a curve to create blending effect.
does anyone understand what is being shown and can help me understand.

link to video if needed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WszmgbohMZs

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6188.2 In reply to 6188.1 
WHat you are seeing that is confusing you is just a function of the interface of the other software compared to MoI. It's the way NURBS surfaces work. The underlying surface always remains.

In MoI, you just use the fillet or blend tool. the fact that the original surfaces disappear is just semantics. If you want to depict the pre-post operation, copy the pre, then paste it back in.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6188.3 In reply to 6188.1 
Hi mrjynx, Alias has a "Curve on surface" entity that associates a curve to live on a surface where it can be in the middle of the surface rather than only at a trimmed edge of the surface.

The part where you write: "at this point seems to lay plane over top" - that doesn't look like a plane, it looks like a blend is being created between those 2 "Curve On Surface" entities.

You also wrote: "plane gives impression surface is blended, even tho geometry is still underneath" - that's because it is a blend, it's just a blend between 2 "Curve On Surface" curves in the middle of the surfaces rather than between border edges.

That Alias software is tremendously complex, one of the ways that MoI keeps things simple is by not having as many different kinds of objects, so in MoI the only kind of curve that is implicitly attached to a surface is an edge curve, so you need to blend between boundary edges in MoI and not between curves somewhere in the middle of surfaces like you show there.

Hope this helps explain what you are seeing there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
okay I think I understand now. thank you for these explanations.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All