Head in NURBS

Next
Hello happy MoIers,

Is somebody has, or knows, where we can find a practical tutorial to build easily a basic head in NURBS, or if, it exists somewhere, a free head well made in a .3dm file? With all the curves of construction inside, will be better. I don't look for meshing head, just NURBS; don't want to import any polygone mesh from any other 3D software.

I have begun a head, only with some vertical curves, and the result is almost pleasant (only in its best profile); and to make nose, eyes, ears, mouth, it's a headache for a head well made. Have some ideas happy MoIers?

Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 136.8 KB, Downloaded: 7 times, Dimensions: 780x790px
Size: 138.2 KB, Downloaded: 7 times, Dimensions: 780x790px
Size: 147.2 KB, Downloaded: 8 times, Dimensions: 780x790px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.2 In reply to 6182.1 
Did you try sth. like "nurbs head modelling" using Google. There are tons of results. Also recorded stuff.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.3 In reply to 6182.2 
Not exactly these words, but yes, I have past several hours to look for a head in nurbs on google.
This video get on my nerves : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac4qV2uIF3Q

This pdf for Maya seems not bad too : http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sota/IT_tutorial_web_site/maya/head_modelling_project/maya_head_modelling_Nurbs_curves.pdf

EDITED: 18 Sep 2013 by BFM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.4 In reply to 6182.2 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,

have you considered the following, downloading an eval of Rhino and T-Splines, and then use a polygon head for the conversion?

Here's an example. I used a (sub-d mesh) head from modo and run it trough the T-Splines demo.

Regards
Stefan
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.6 In reply to 6182.1 
Hi Bard, organic character modeling like faces is usually done using sub-d modeling techniques rather than with NURBS modeling. So you'll find a lot more tutorials for doing that kind of shape using polygon modeling techniques. You may be able to find some for NURBS that were done kind of before sub-d modeling became the primary way to do it, here's one that I remember from a long time ago: http://3drender.com/jbirn/ea/HeadModel.html

For already existing models, there are probably other ones on grabcad.com too in addition to the one above, look at some of these links in this previous post:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4412.2

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.7 In reply to 6182.6 
I asked just a basic head in nurbs with its curves of construction. Nobody knows to make a small head with MoI. That reassures myself about my ignorance. So may be, I will come back in one year to show how we can do it.

Michael, I don't care the "one-good-solution", your MoI can make music if I decide to make music with it; and you don't know what rebels can do with your genial tool. Impossible is not Welsh, so it's French too, almost from Lyddaw Valha.

It's enough to see how T-Curves Function, become B-Curves Function, to see that to draw any forms clean & smooth, all with MoI, is possible, & same, very recommanded. That makes weapons, that says "organic", bloody-piece cut from a body, and that doesnt want to make a simple head in MoI. I don't arrive to believe that I read.

I have never use the function ISO in MoI, I just begin to discover it; in fact I use the half of possibilities of MoI, I just start to see it, because I change my manner to create an objet. So let me times to learn...

I am sure that you are surprised yourself to see that all the peoples can do with your software.
Does MoI makes music soon? Yes we can...

I am a beginner, a starter, a shodan (grade 1=0).
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.8 In reply to 6182.7 
Hi Bard,

> Michael, I don't care the "one-good-solution", your MoI can make music if I decide to make music
> with it; and you don't know what rebels can do with your genial tool.

Certainly it's up to you to do whatever you wish with MoI! :)

But certain other tools just have more emphasis on particular kinds of modeling techniques, and if the particular kind of shape that you're asking for is a better fit for one of those other mechanisms, it's good for you to know that another tool could be a better fit for the particular task that you are asking about.

Different tools vary in a lot of different ways - both with the technology that they're based on, and also with the particular workflow and toolset that they have chosen to focus on.

It's certainly possible to use any tool outside of its primary intended domain, but it pretty naturally follows that when you might ask for recommendations, one of the logical recommendations is "why not use the tool that's meant to do that type of thing"... :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.9 In reply to 6182.8 
Bonsoir Bard:
at this moment i can't help you because i'm focused to model other stuff
i want to try to model a head and body in MO-AI..i have some ideas about...
when i'll do i'll post for sure !
in the meanwhile let me say to you my compliments about your -Look me in the eyes- image you posted on the galley..it's very beautiful..for me a little touch of art..
Bravo !

M
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.10 In reply to 6182.8 
Hello Michael,
For what is up to me, MoI is perfect. A challenge common sense is always taking up.

Start 001: You can try too, I join BaseFace.3dm (first lines, without ear).

Why not to start a contest for the most beautiful nurbs-head made ​​with MoI? ...

The most beautiful head made enterely with MoI -- any import & conversion totally forbidden -- wins the next version of MoI.
I will be curious to see the results. The man likes to take up the gauntlet (to pick up medieval glove); there is always some ingenious modellers just waiting to reveal their talent.

There, where you believe that nothing is, there are worlds.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.11 In reply to 6182.9 
Good day Mauro,
You like my triplate for triegg of trihen, and tripancake... It's a triumph.
I keep your compliments, and I send you all my wishes of triumph (good motorbike, sweet Bonny).
thanks.

EDITED: 20 Sep 2013 by BFM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Excellent start!
Just ears are missing ! ;)

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.13 In reply to 6182.12 

Ears are not problematic; if it's a women with long freely hair, or with a bonnet, hat, cap, helmet. And he may have gills this E.T.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.14 In reply to 6182.10 
Hi Bard,

> Why not to start a contest for the most beautiful nurbs-head made ​​with MoI? ...

Because as I explained above already, MoI is not the best tool for that particular task... So it wouldn't make sense to me to promote a contest which is centered around something that's not a target area of the software overall.

The main advantage with sub-d modeling in this area (making complex organic skins like a face or creature body), is that the sub-d control cage can have arbitrary topology and generates a smooth result.

NURBS modeling has its strengths in much different areas than doing faces - NURBS modeling is very strong for mechanical shapes and forms largely driven by 2D profile curves. A face is an entirely different kind of shape than that.

> <...> there is always some ingenious modellers just waiting to reveal their talent.

In this case I'd compare it more to: "use the right tool for the job at hand". It's like saying you want to build something but only use a screwdriver to do it, because it's theoretically possible to pound in nails using the bottom of a screwdriver. But it's an awkward and time consuming process as compared to using a hammer to do that job instead.

MoI is a tool that's been designed specifically to make certain kinds of model construction to be easy to do, but the area that it's focused on is completely different than what you are talking about here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.15 In reply to 6182.14 

Strange comparison, because with some "screwdrivers = drink vodka-orange" in English, you are drunk; and some peoples plant nails with palm, same if the hands are not made for that.
As I have said recently to somebody, you know this maxime: This is not because your father is joiner that you should marry a carpenter. I like this one too from Africa: "This is not because the panther lose weight that you call it cat". Sorry I made a mistake, I called MoI "panther", it's just a "kitten". It's like to want cut a tree with a knife.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6182.16 In reply to 6182.15 
I would say you could make some great "charactors", like disney or cartoon stuff, but if you are trying to do photo realistic human stuff, it will prove very hard.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6182.17 In reply to 6182.16 
Yes Burrman, my research is oriented on simple and beautiful Arts, refine in way of kokeshi (Japanese dolls), Taïnos, Cyclades, Easter, Gallic, Welsh, primitive or primal, primordial or principal sculptures, good African crafts not made for tourists, rather than big stupid ugly monsters full of syphilitic pustules for white people totally illiterated as their trash and society = sect, clique, and modeled from 1 pushed cube, then painted with an old Painter-3D that I used already in the nineties; like an Amorphium 1.0, muted in a Zbrush to spread horror, refuse, garbage, dirt, misshapen creatures for unwells exploded, burts or ripped of the spleen.

Since how many times the Artists, Creators or Poëts, Inventors, divert or distort any thing, or taking away all products, materials, tools, like others Priests, Scientists, Masters, Teachers, distort women, maids, languages, donkeys, pigs, chickens, oxes, petrol, forest, seed, from their 1st use or purpose, never made for that? .... I don't know if that thinks an ass before to bray? The rooster yes! It watches its watch as the rabbit in Aliceaholic.

Everybody have forgot the first programmers who made kilometers of draws on perfored papers, with big banks IBM computers, so much expensive. Oh! that was not made to draw, but to realize mountains of cashes, credits, profits. Why they don't used a pencil, like all obedient children or students in schoolchurches. But they do, and re-do, and do again, and go on to hide some draws, same in their hardwares and softwares. Oh the villeins! ...

Justly I looked Swift3D, that Strata3D used before for nice Vectors Renderings, all smooth, without spots mottled on the face; no details, same for furnitures, machines, complex devices, as I like so so so so much... Oh! It's not the good tools to make industrial gadgets, designers of what (?) ah money, trading, pustules, window dressing, corkscrew, or piggy-bank... Stop, I become sardonic as Michel Sardou in Sargasso Sea, or the Sardine blocking the harbour of Marseille.

Allez, I's up to me, you, he, her, it, you, us, they
Let's go Happy MoIers, heureux aux mots ailleurs.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All