delete rivet holes

Next
Hi everybody

I am wondering if there is a script around or is it possible to automate a repetitive task I have. I work in the aviation industry so a lot of the 3D parts we get from our CAD people are peppered with rivet holes. As i am not working in such detail i want to get rid of these, which i can do manually but it takes a long time and there are may pieces.
Attached is a screenshot of a typical piece and the 3dm file.

Currently i take a piece and run 'separate', then i can get a surface which has many holes in it, from here i manually select all the holes edges and delete. What i am looking for is some script which could delete all holes that are found within the outer boundaries automatically.

Any help anyone can offer on this would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 216.8 KB, Downloaded: 145 times, Dimensions: 850x948px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6174.2 In reply to 6174.1 
Hi matt,

> Currently i take a piece and run 'separate', then i can get a surface which has many holes in it,
> from here i manually select all the holes edges and delete.

Instead of this current process, what I'd recommend is keep the object joined together, do not run separate on it.

Instead zoom in and select one of the little hole side wall pieces. That's done by a "drill in" selection where on the second click on an object it will switch selection from the whole object to a sub-object. Edges have priority over faces and so you need to be zoomed in enough so you have a spot where you can click near the middle area of a face that is not directly next to an edge a few pixels away so that you can target the face instead of edges.

Once you have one of those little side wall face sub-objects selected, zoom back out a little bit and now do window selects to capture more of those side wall faces. Once you have an intial face or edge sub-object selection active then window selects will only target that same type of sub-objects after that. Sometimes it's easiest to just select a big face to sort of "prime the pump" to be in face targeting mode and then do some window selects of small faces and then click a second time on the big face you used for the "priming" to deselect it. That way has less zooming involved.

Do your selection windows starting on the left and dragging towards the right, that will only capture faces that are totally contained within the selection window. Be careful in the corner areas where there are also some smallish faces in the outer corner spots, you don't want to accidentally delete those too.

If you make a mistake and accidentally unselect things or select the wrong thing, do a single undo right then before doing anything else, undo works to revert just the last done selection action.

After you've built up a selection over a minute or so hit delete to remove those and then repeat that process until you've deleted all the side wall faces.

Now after you have deleted all those side wall pieces instead of just a big pile of surfaces you've got a joined surface with naked edges in the holes, you can then select all the naked edges using the script here and then delete them all in one go:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6051.2

This sequence should be significantly faster than your previous method.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6174.3 In reply to 6174.1 
Also some other tips - for your case here if you go to the Front or Right side views it will probably be easiest to grab lots of little hole faces that way.

And also normally you need to click in empty space for the initial mouse down when you want to start a window select. If you click down on an actual object, you won't get a window you'll get a selection result from the click.

But if you hold down shift+ctrl when you click it will force window selection to happen so if you do not have any convenient empty space to do the initial click, hold down shift+ctrl to do a window select and when you do that it doesn't matter where the initial click is on.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for the info, it works a treat and saves me a lot of time!!
matt
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Nice. Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Now that's is a cool tip - thanks Michael!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All