Simple Door latch/ 3d print
All  1-3  4-7

Previous
Next
6151.4 In reply to 6151.3 
Hi Mike,

> I have noticed its supper sluggish redraw with the simplest of objects.

Is it possible that you've cranked up the display mesh density a whole bunch? Try going to Options > View > Meshing parameters and make sure "Mesh angle" is set to the default 10 degrees and not some smaller angle than that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6151.5 In reply to 6151.4 
I use MoI with a Makerbot Rep 2 and don't have any issues with meshing - actually I would say that MoI is one of the best pieces of software that I know for meshing/creating watertight 3D files.

I usually go from .obj over to Makerware for my export, and I only export solids.

I use the following (incidentally I learned them from another thread regarding exporting models for 3D sculpting) export settings:

output: "Quads and Triangles"
"weld vertices along edges" checked to "on" (although sometimes I forget and it seems to work fine)
"All" selected next to "divide larger than"
"set divide larger than" and "avoid smaller than" to the same value (I usually use between 0.5 and 1.0)

Happy printing!
-FDP

Update: I might have misunderstood your issue, it's getting late here!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6151.6 In reply to 6151.5 
Hey FDP, thanks for the note. I use the same exact settings as you except I go out to stl (binary).

My issue turned out to be a problem with the xp operating system. something called terminal services which is used with
remote access was causing my anti virus to slow down my computer.... which was slowing down the redraw in moi.

I turned it off and everything is back to normal. but now I can not acces my computer remotely.... which I never did anyway.

so for the makerbot, which slicer are you using? I notice that anything that has internal geometry causes the makerware slicer set at high to have problems.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6151.7 In reply to 6151.6 
I've been incredibly lazy and have just been using makerware to slice everything at medium(standard) and high settings with the default slicers (makerware for medium, I think skeinforge for high). If you aren't using it already I would definitely recommend upgrading to the latest version of makerware (2.2.2), it does actually seem to do a much better job all around. I have also updated the machine firmware to the latest version to match.

The slicing is painfully slow at highest settings on older machines (my laptop is 8 years old and still runs MoI like a champ, but makerware not so much). On a newer machine I've found even with complex geometry that it is pretty quick. I am using Windows 7, I don't know if you are also using an XP machine for makerware?

Something like your door latch replacement would probably only take my old laptop ~1-2 minutes to slice at medium if it were say 4-5k polys. Have you tried using .obj as a format? Shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.

Also, if you haven't already definitely join the "makerbot operators forum" over on google groups. I've found it to be very useful resource for troubleshooting makerbot issues. There are tons of bugs that get through in makerbot products and the user community is often a step ahead of the company in figuring them out.

Regards,
FDP
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-7