Bend a tubular object?
All  1-10  11-18

Previous
Next
6138.11 In reply to 6138.10 
Here's a file for you to look at.

The first thing I did was to run rebuild on your arc'd curve. The bottom area was segmented and kindof broken up, and most likely causing the surface breakage.

The other thing to look at was the messy alignment. Like your base curve is slightly lower than the object to flow, so I moved them to be planar? Also, the base curve should be the same length as the flow object, if you want to be controlling the stretch and length of the flow result.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6138.12 In reply to 6138.11 
Thanks, and that would probably be really helpful, if I had any idea what you meant by "run rebuild on your arc'd curve".

I can't find a Rebuild command or any way to do anything similar other than drawing the curve over again from scratch for the 50th time.
How does one do this?

Also, I don't really Want to Stretch the cone.
When the cap is placed on the bent ice-cream cone, I want its total height to be 50mm, but I cannot come up with any way other than pure trial and error to get the heights to match so the open top is merely tilted, not displaced vertically.

EDITED: 8 Feb 2014 by ELDRICK

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6138.13 In reply to 6138.12 
Hit the tab key and type rebuild and hit enter. You can also make a shortcut with the command rebuild.

I'll make a quick video in a second.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6138.14 In reply to 6138.13 
Here you go Rick:

You'll note for the arc, I hit the tab key and type Rebuild.

I don't think that the planar placement of the curves are actually necessary. I just point out stuff like that in case your trying to really control things and placement, with regards to stretch and such.... Sloppy can produce sloppy. With flow, you can "shift" the center of the result and actually morph it if you don't watch out.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6138.15 In reply to 6138.14 
Thanks for the help. PM sent.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6138.16 In reply to 6138.15 
Hey Rick,
I responded to your pm..... We should just do it here.....

Would you like to start?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6138.17 In reply to 6138.16 
I'd love to, but I'd prefer not to have to work through it myself, as I seem to develop the twitches every time I touch anything in MOI - objects seem to spontaneously change size, move, or otherwise disintegrate when I mouse near them.
6^)

I'm skilled with TinkerCAD and a number of real graphics programs, and have brought products to market using TK, but I'm stonewalled by MOI.
Here are a couple of my earlier products:
My name visible on the bottom side of this one when you Rotate the image: http://www.leonpaulusa.com/acatalog/Tungsten_Sintered_Pommel.html
and the latest: http://www.fencing.net/forums/thread71986.html

EDITED: 8 Feb 2014 by ELDRICK

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6138.18 In reply to 6138.17 
Hi Rick, sorry you're having so much difficulty with MoI!

> I'd love to, but I'd prefer not to have to work through it myself, as I seem to develop the
> twitches every time I touch anything in MOI - objects seem to spontaneously change size,
> move, or otherwise disintegrate when I mouse near them.

This is pretty unusual - I mean MoI does have various ways you can edit things but you have to not just click but also hold down the mouse and drag a ways before they activate.

But if you drag on an object, it will move , and if you drag on an edit frame grip it will scale the object. But it's very common for many other graphics apps to do that type of stuff as well so it's a bit strange that you only have this happen with MoI only...

It seems that Burr has already answered you about the particular Flow problem, that does look like it has to do with your target curve being made up of some separate segments with some little line pieces in it - Flow really is meant to work on a smooth curve not one made up of little line bits in it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-10  11-18