using nurbs elements for selection ?

Next
Just wondering how this could be done. Imagine having the milkyway on your moi screen. each star one circle, diameter represents the luminosity. A screen full of circles.

I want to draw a six-sided polygon that represents the window of a spaceship, and look outside.

Now the question: How do I select the visible stars, ie. only those within the border of my polygon?

Thanks,
Ditto
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6125.2 In reply to 6125.1 
The closer you are to the window, the more stars you would see, up to a limit.
The window could be a camera hooked up to a display screen...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yes, Brian, that was a silly example I have choosen. ;)

Let me try again: How can I select all objects that are within a closed curve. For simplification, let's say that all objects are on the cplane.

Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Would that be a kind of lasso selection method you're asking for?

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6125.5 In reply to 6125.3 
Hi Ditto,

> Let me try again: How can I select all objects that are within a closed curve. For
> simplification, let's say that all objects are on the cplane.

Right now you'd just have to use individual clicks or window selection and only click on the ones inside the curve...

In the future I'd like to add some more selection methods, a method for selecting things inside of closed curves could be a possible addition.

Do you have an actual case where it would have been useful instead of just a theoretical situation?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6125.6 In reply to 6125.5 
Michael,
I can do this pretty quick with the new View spinning. I had a question. Is there a way to "reset" after I've implemented view spinning?

Reference:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5774.22

Near the bottom = Implement view spinning -
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6125.7 In reply to 6125.6 
Hi Burr,

> Is there a way to "reset" after I've implemented view spinning?

Try this:
script: /* reset view tilt */ moi.ui.getActiveViewport().tiltAngle = 0.0;

Looks like you may need to trigger it twice to reset an ortho view, I'm not sure what's wrong there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6125.8 In reply to 6125.7 
That does it.. Yeah, twice.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6125.9 In reply to 6125.5 
> Do you have an actual case where it would have been useful instead of just a theoretical situation?

Yes, I am attaching the files (the 3dm as zip because it's rather heavy). The "outline" objects are not aligned and scaled to the"circle" objects, but one can see what I am shooting at.

This is part of a project that I work on with an artist. She has made a structure from porcelain. The task is to two-dimensioniolize (sp?) the thing. We opted for a halftone solution, where the levels of gray are translated into circles of different diameter for later lasering or milling.

Now I want to leave out anything that is not the object itself. So I have the circles, and the outline, and want to get rid of the rest.

VoilĂ !

Ditto

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6125.10 In reply to 6125.9 
Hi Ditto, I'm not sure if it helps you for your particular case here since you've got a whole bunch of closed overlapping circles as the things you're processing, but with open curves you can use booleans on curves to cut them to be contained within a particular closed outline, like this:

Then doing Construct > Boolean > Intersection will make this result:

But with closed curves like all your circles those will be interpreted as overlapping regions and they'll get combined together instead of just being cut by the boundary like will happen with open curves.

If you're able to easily reconstruct the circle pattern you might try making it made up of something like sets of 4 open arc curves and then trying the curve booleans on them to see if that helps get what you want.

Otherwise for such a large number of objects you'll be wanting to do a bunch of strategic window selections to select clusters of them at once rather than individual clicks. Some things that can help with that would be to lock the outer boundary (in the Scene browser hold down the Ctrl key and click on the eye icon to lock that so it can't be selected), then you'll zoom in and do a bunch of window selections to grab a batch of things to delete in one go rather than just individual clicks.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6125.11 In reply to 6125.10 
Excellent idea! I will keep it mind for the future.

And it triggered a solution for my particular case as well, a partial solution at least: I will manually delete the inner sections, which is not too laborious, and use the outer curve as a region for the CAM program. Case closed.

But a "curve selection" would be nice on the wishlist.

Thanks again,
Ditto
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All