Nsided Patch Problem - V3 Aug 1
All  1-12  13-19

Previous
Next
6120.13 In reply to 6120.12 
Wish you luck with this kevjon,
I hope you find a solution as it is similar to the fin/fuselage challenge I had (unsolved) in the ...Organic Modelling of Glider Fuselage topic I started.
Cheers.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@Argo

Thanks

I don't know if this helps you but this is how I tackled the fin/fuselage joint. I used Network and blend.
Actually thinking about this more, I could probably get rid of the network and included that part in the loft of the fin shape.

I also tried Andrei's Loft-Loose-Exact for the whole fin including the fuselage fairing but it doesn't give tangency at the fuselage joint which results in undesirable shading highlights when converted to polygons and rendered. It really needs to be at least G1 blend to overcome the shading highlight errors.

EDITED: 17 Aug 2013 by KEVJON

Image Attachments:
Size: 57.3 KB, Downloaded: 21 times, Dimensions: 702x476px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6120.15 In reply to 6120.14 
This is just to explore alternative ways :)
You could try to mirror wing sections and loft whole wing than move some points of yellow section until you have a better shape

my suggestion is also to pay attention how to manage points in wing sections
supposing you need to blend wing+fuselage surely it failed because wing is too sharp
avoid also to have the seam of the wing just in the sharpest part
use MarkCurveStart plug-in to control each section and move it in neutral position

red one is a section of your wing,blue one is how i managed points in that area:
avoid to put a point in the sharpest part,give more distance between them to have more rounded shape
this allows to blend or fillet to have more space available to work

M

EDITED: 19 Dec 2021 by M-DYNAMICS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Part of the issue may be that the edges and surfaces are causing more trouble due to the control point organization and complexity. After doing a few tests I've found you can get better surfaces by having less points that are placed well than more. It also may be harder since you are trying to create the entire surface in one piece. Perhaps some model planning would help so that you can create several smaller surfaces that exhibit good control point placement rather than trying to deal with one large surface. I don't think loft is going to get you where you want to be in this instance if you are looking for something past G1. Getting to at least G2 and having a nicely planned model should get alleviate some of the smoothing issues.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@Mauro

>You could try to mirror wing sections and loft whole wing than move some points of yellow section until you have a better shape

That looks like it has some potential combined with a blend between fuselage and wing. I'll give that a go and post up the result, good or bad.

>my suggestion is also to pay attention how to manage points in wing sections
>supposing you need to blend wing+fuselage surely it failed because wing is too sharp
>avoid also to have the seam of the wing just in the sharpest part
>use MarkCurveStart plug-in to control each section and move it in neutral position

The extra point you show in the red curve (which is the way I did it) is so I can snap my wing profiles to guides to avoid having a wobbly leading or trailing edge to the wing.

>avoid to put a point in the sharpest part,give more distance between them to have more rounded shape
>this allows to blend or fillet to have more space available to work

hmm, good point. Perhaps I need to delete my snapping point after I have all the wing cross sections in place. It may help when doing the blend between fuselage and wing.

This is the shape I need to create on the underside of my wing. As you can see it is relatively flat under the wing.

@OSTexo

I'm more than happy for you to show me how to achieve better results with a better planned model and less points.
~Kevin~

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6120.18 In reply to 6120.17 
Ok, here is one way of tackling it. The white lines in the Network patches are G2 blend curves to try to keep continuity.

But after converting to polygons not too good.
~Kevin~
Image Attachments:
Size: 31.8 KB, Downloaded: 24 times, Dimensions: 180x463px
Size: 19.3 KB, Downloaded: 29 times, Dimensions: 425x361px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Ok, I think this is bit simpler and gives a result that is good enough for my purposes.

What I learned in this exercise should stand me in good stead for other low winged aircraft.
~Kevin~
Image Attachments:
Size: 40.4 KB, Downloaded: 27 times, Dimensions: 375x452px
Size: 45 KB, Downloaded: 41 times, Dimensions: 800x600px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All