Death of SUB-D Artist)! Closed
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-119

Previous
Next
Hi Andrei,

the images you show are from the old Groboto software and MoI. Please someone correct me, i believe that the new MeshFusion technology which is coming to MODO from the Groboto Developers is quite a different beast, assuming that this new plug-in can use sub-d meshes created with MODO and then carry out the dynamic booleans. Well, if not then it's still a nice plug-in for someone who likes it. BUT if it allows sub-d meshes created with MODO, well than this would be really awesome, imho.

Regards
Stefan
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.42 In reply to 6076.41 
They haven't flat out said, to my knowledge, that any mesh will work but they have heavily implied it. It's not just a few primitive shapes like Groboto at the very least. He showed a few screen shots of what looked like arbitrary meshes being used to subtract from the main mesh (meshes with concave caps, for example).
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.43 In reply to 6076.41 
futagoza,

It will be good only in one case, if all meshes can be converted to MeshFusion and back.

Good, will see when it will be released)
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.44 In reply to 6076.43 
"It will be good only in one case, if all meshes can be converted to MeshFusion and back."

*head asplode*
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.45 In reply to 6076.44 
WarrenM,
Good, let's put Groboto or Mesh Fusion(that is not released yet) apart if you like it use it no problem. Just don not forget to show us your results..

Back to object..
I still think that model in my first post is death for Sub-D modeler/artist that model it)

Groboto is not native Sub-D modeler it is like MOI exports poly meshes... But I'm talking about SUB-D.

EDITED: 31 Jul 2013 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
*(In my best old man voice)*

I remember years ago some people saying NURBS were dead!

I try not to deal with absolutes, the world is FULL of surprises!!

And tools are tools.

*(Old man voice off)*
*(Old man voice off)*
*(Old man voice off)*

Dam switch is broken!

EDITED: 31 Jul 2013 by SBEECH

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.47 In reply to 6076.45 
""""Groboto is not native Sub-D modeler it is like MOI exports poly meshes..."""""""""""

Are you sure? Or do you just not really know.
Attachments:

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well I have something like 10 years of sub-d modeling xp, and 2 years of MoI.

For every new project coming on the table, I still need to think about it ... what I gonna use, MoI, Modo ? Both ?
The choice is often difficult, some part will be fastest in MoI, some parts easier in sds. What about the fillets ? Do I have to use displacement on some surface ?

So yes, your 3 tubes and a sphere example perfectly match MoI strenght. A tool like Meshfusion, despite your over reacting perfomance, will probably make the speed modeling difference less obvious.

You know some people will do your modeling exercice in Zbrush in a couple of minutes too ... dont ask me, I still dont get the purpose myself, but for them, it's a valid workflow ... so no, nothing is dead.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.49 In reply to 6076.47 
BurrMan,

1. WarrenM says - "No, you can't go back once you commit the booleans" is it true Sub-D?

2. So any way if it is true sub-d modeler is it possible to import obj of any complexity without modification like retopology and modify them ?

EDITED: 31 Jul 2013 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.50 In reply to 6076.48 
PaQ,
As I can see there is some kind of misunderstood, noticed it just now...

I mean death not for sub-D like software or method of modelling. I mean MAN - MODELER. I mean this figure I made will kill him! I meant death for modeler/Artist not method!!!
Method is good I know a lot of GREAT stuff that was made with Sub-D.
Once again not method SUB-D but MAN who model it)))))! I think it takes a lot of time to model it in Sub-D, so it's "death" for man that will think - My God I have to model it...
Hope now you understand me)
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.51 In reply to 6076.50 
Just changed in first post Modeler to Artist.
And once again it was joke!!! As you can see in my first post, so that is why I wrote - Joke.

And once again I convinced this forum is not for jokes most people here are very serious :D
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.52 In reply to 6076.49 
You can't go back to MeshFusion once you commit but you CAN still continue to model with the mesh it produces - If Groboto is any indication, the resulting mesh will have decent topology and should be easy-ish to work with.

However, the same is true of MoI ... once you do your boolean operation, you can't go back and change your mind. If you want to do something different, you have to rebuild the surfaces and try again. Right?
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.53 In reply to 6076.49 
"""""""No, you can't go back once you commit the booleans" is it true Sub-D?"""""""

All booleans are fully editable and interactive. Both originating objects remain, always.

"""""""""2. So any way if it is true sub-d modeler it is possible to import obj of any complexity without modification like retopology and modify them ?"""""""""

Interesting how you jump around to make a point....
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.54 In reply to 6076.52 
WarrenM,
I can repair any booleans I made in MOI, to do it you have to know some repair techniques.
But what you can do with mesh that you commit? I think only sculpt.

-----------------------------------------
Portfolio: www.samardac.tumblr.com
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.55 In reply to 6076.53 
BurrMan,
I'm not jumping I just think logically. All you say have to be proven.

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The new Groboto fusion stuff looks very cool! That would be a major step forward for incorporating booleans into sub-d modeling work while before they were like oil and water.

From what I can see it has to be changing the topology of the existing sub-d objects on the fly and it is fairly easy for any automatic retopology method to introduce kind of stretched or squashed areas in the result, so it will be interesting to see if there tends to be any shape perturbations in the result, and it's also a big question whether any input mesh can be used or whether there are restrictions on the input topologies.

One of the strengths of NURBS modeling is not just that you can do booleans but also that you can form large parts of your model from 2D curves. It's actually the 2D curve focus that tends to make NURBS modeling easier for novices to get started with, and it's also where advanced users gain a lot of modeling speed from as well. The new Groboto Modo plug-in does not really bring that particular same aspect to the table, but it looks like it should be really useful for already experienced sub-d modelers to be able to merge forms together a lot easier than they could previously.

One thing that might be kind of weird is to only be able to apply fillets as the result of doing a boolean, it's not unusual for something that you want to fillet to be an edge of the natural outline of a shape for example rather than only something coming from a boolean.

It will be cool to see more demos of it, it's certainly going to be a lot more useful to people than the stand-alone Groboto was.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.57 In reply to 6076.56 
Michael,

>and it's also a big question whether any input mesh can be used or whether there are restrictions on the input topologies.

Yep I asked the same question... If it is true SUB-D it have to accept any kind of poly model without retopology...

>One of the strengths of NURBS modeling is not just that you can do booleans but also that you can form large parts of your model from 2D curves.

True!

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.58 In reply to 6076.54 
"I can repair any booleans I made in MOI, to do it you have to know some repair techniques."

Right, just like subd modeling.

"But what you can do with mesh that you commit? I think only sculpt. "

If the generated mesh is better than the Groboto meshes (which they have said is the case), you will have a good mesh for further subd modeling after you are done with your booleans. So, no, not only sculpting. In fact, you could even put the mesh BACK into MeshFusion and do some more boolean work on it.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.59 In reply to 6076.56 
"It will be cool to see more demos of it, it's certainly going to be a lot more useful to people than the stand-alone Groboto was."

HUGE understatement. :P I loved the tech aspects of Groboto but the app was exceedingly blah.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.60 In reply to 6076.58 
Hi Warren,

>> "I can repair any booleans I made in MOI, to do it you have to know some repair techniques."
>
> Right, just like subd modeling.

No, the repair options are pretty different with NURBS modeling compared to sub-d because NURBS has the concept of an "Underlying surface". When you do a boolean operation on a NURBS object new trim curves are created but the original full surface is still underneath those trim curves and if you erase the trim curves it will restore the full surface.

Sub-d modeling does not have any concept similar to that, if you eliminate some portion of a sub-d mesh you can't then just remove the boundary areas of where you cut it and restore it.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-119