Death of SUB-D Artist)! Closed
 1  2-21  22-41  42-61  …  102-119

Previous
Next
Hi Andrei,

i would say that you can model your model quickly too in Groboto. BTW "death of sub-d"...here's something which is comming in the near future to modo, from the Groboto team (try that with NURBS, to compare apples with oranges, so to speak... ;-)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hfoT5lHoOYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VZhOPdmyI0c

Regards
Stefan
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.3 In reply to 6076.2 
Haha, just came to this thread to post that Stefan, thanks. :) Not so clear cut anymore...

Also a microphone would make your videos many times cooler. Watching you type is fairly painful!
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.4 In reply to 6076.2 
Stefan thank you for your video never know about this soft so it looks interesting.
I make quick research and find that:
1. it's mainly Boolean method so everything that can be done with this soft can be done with MOI.
2. It's like MOI do not work natively in poly modeling. It exports its result to poly model and make cage like MOI.

So the only one advantage I can see is interactively updated result of boolean.

Moi has tested in a lot of different areas from hard surface to organic stuff and precision CAD modelling and it proves his power. But what we can say about this one?

I think in first glance it looks interesting but it has to be tested to make some deeper conclusions and do not deceive yourself by only watching this videos that looks so attractive, try to work in it and make some complex project after that it will be clear. MOI has a lot instruments that I think is not implemented in Groboto. For example I can not see any way to control fillet.
Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3wN9MssMKg when it modeled all corners are sharp but when converts to poly they are smooth.... So it will be interesting to see how you repeat my model in Groboto with all controllable fillets it has.

I can made some mistakes do not went deep in this soft, so you can correct me anytime no problem.

And it defenetly can not be used for precision modelling.

EDITED: 31 Jul 2013 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.5 In reply to 6076.4 
It's not merely booleans. It's dynamic booleans.

We won't know fully what it is until it comes out but they are saying it works seamlessly with Modo's existing subd pipeline. Everything is dynamic until you freeze it so fillets can be adjusted freely, boolean'd shapes can be swapped out or edited at any time, and when you're done the Groboto style mesher kicks in and gives you a sub-d friendly mesh.

Of course it can be used for precision modeling.

Seriously, it's a game changer.

Will it be the only tool you'll ever need? No, of course not. I don't think a single tool to rule them all will ever be created, but it's a serious step forward from where we are today. I can't WAIT to try it out...
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.6 In reply to 6076.5 
WarrenM,
no problem, but it will be better to have some facts that proof your statement.
If it has more power than MOI no problem I'll try to use it!

-----------------------------------------
Portfolio: www.samardac.tumblr.com
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.7 In reply to 6076.6 
The only facts anyone has right now is what you see in the preview videos. If those videos are grossly incorrect or inaccurate, it would be devastating for Modo's reputation so I tend to believe that they are fairly accurate...
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.8 In reply to 6076.7 
One question, this mesh can be turned to it's modifying state every time I need it, or if you converted it to mesh no way to back to modify it again?

I'm not so optimistic about any new soft and videos like this) It was a lot of times when I saw something like this and say waw!!! It's amazing!! But when tried to work in it it was horrible.
Honestly I can not see any super new features in this soft, all that dynamically updated features was implemented in different CAD soft.
But the only feature that is unique for this soft is mesh cage it looks very nice in most cases. But If you have High Poly model there is no big difference what topology it has. In MOI you can get it freally with N-gons.

And the main big disadvantage of this soft is that there is noway to make 3D from 2D! That unique feature of NURBS make things so fast!
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.9 In reply to 6076.8 
No, you can't go back once you commit the booleans, but that's the same as CAD packages. Once you commit a fillet or boolean, for example, it is tedious to repair no matter what package you're using.

And no, Modo doesn't do 2 rail sweeps, but it does a lot of other things that CAD packages don't.

As I said, this won't be the one true tool because that doesn't, and probably will never, exist. But it's an awesome advancement for subd modelers and it's a direct response to the claims made in your video. :)
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.10 In reply to 6076.9 
>No, you can't go back once you commit the booleans, but that's the same as CAD packages. Once you commit a fillet or boolean, for example, it is tedious to repair no matter what package you're using.

There is a lot of soft like Space Claim or Solidworks where you can change fillet freely even remove it)
In MOI it is possible to repair practically any kind of objects. And more I can modify them any time I want)

>And no, Modo doesn't do 2 rail sweeps, but it does a lot of other things that CAD packages don't.

2 rail sweep is not only one example of 2D to 3D. All nurbs is based on this concept. Revolve, loft, network, blend, e.t.c...
And yes Sub-D allows to make very complex organic stuff that is very hard or practically impossible to make in MOI.

I have nothing against this soft It looks interesting and people spend their time and efforts to make it I respect this.
But want to look at things objectively :)

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I think this new technology will help for example Concept Artists, when exploring new design forms, whether for household goods or automotive things etc. They can imho quickly "sketch" a rough concept out in MODO, use the new MeshFusion technology to add things which might be difficult otherwise, or more time consuming and then if needed use the subd to nurbs plugn-in in MODO to bring their concept work in a CAD package for further processing, if needed. So i believe this new worklfow brings up a lot of possibilities, since we all know that subd or CAD packages have each their pros and cons. And here you would have a united workflow with MODO's add-on's and an inexpensive software like MoI for example.

BTW: Andrei, the ViaCAD Pro 9 vers (Beta). has added now also subd-modeling...

Best regards
Stefan
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.12 In reply to 6076.11 
STEFAN,
As I said I have nothing against this soft, use it If you like it )! It's very individual stuff..

I tired VIA cad and have to say I worked in it 2 days and left it...

Now I use MOI 3D and 3D Coat, for modeling, UVs, Retopo, Sculpting, Painting. And I can say I can model practically everything! Very simple and powerful soft. I made this decision by testing a lot of soft.
And stuff that appears to me very complex in other software in this applications it is like child's Play.

Modo is a bit complicated for me and as I can think not only for me, but users of this soft reminds me users of Aple, some kind of cult :) Just a joke!

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Good guys!

Universal Death)))!

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Alas Groboto/Modo is for the moment stopped!

http://www.groboto.com/forums/showthread.php?940-GroBoto-Lives-On
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.15 In reply to 6076.14 
I don't understand. He lays out a timetable right there in that post that says:

"The GroBoto-derived modo plugin will be released later this year."

How does that translate to it being stopped?

Plus, Darrel is in the Luxology forums every couple of days showing off teaser images and videos...
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Pilou,

Indeed groboto dev seems to be slow down, but there is a modo plugin coming.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
<< How does that translate to it being stopped?
Adjourned if you prefer - so re-launch as soon as possible!

EDITED: 31 Jul 2013 by PILOU

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Andrei:
I think all benefits and pleasure you have using Moi not derive totally from Nurbs environment
You can find same Nurbs tools in lot of applications..so is not only a challenge Nurbs Vs. Sub-D
It's MOI that bring all benefits and speed-up your workflow
Watching your video which are things that allow to build that model so easy and quick ? Snap and selection
Those two things are best of the 3Dworld !!!!Which other software gives you same easy to use to select,move,jump between wiews or EASILY catch a snap point ?
NO-ONE !
These features are the base of workflow...tools or technique come last

I'm testing Autodesk Fusion 360 with T-Splines
While i'm workin on, i need a snap:where is the palette?
Nothing...i do a search on their site:this is what is turned out :) :) :)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Request-a-Feature-Fusion-360/Object-snap-is-really-needed/idi-p/3818119

EDITED: 31 Jul 2013 by M-DYNAMICS

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.19 In reply to 6076.18 
M-dynamics, totally agree with you)

I do not wanted to start this thread to contrast Sub-D vs Nurbs, just wanted to show what can kill Sub-D modeler :)) and make it in funny way!
But it looks like there is some foggy soft that is not released yet, that can reproduce boolean part of MOI :)

About Autodesk, Is it you started those thread about snap? Why? Let user of Fusion to suffer a bit :))) Do not have snap looks like do not have air...... I see a lot of soft of autodesk is not perfect, but has well known brand.. Personally there is no any soft of Autodesk that I like...

Just wanted to ask if GroBoto has some kind of snap functionality?

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.20 In reply to 6076.19 
"But it looks like there is some foggy soft that is not released yet, that can reproduce boolean part of MOI :)"

You think that video is merely reproducing what MoI booleans do? I give up.

It must be a language barrier problem and I can accept that. This thread has no right to be as annoying as it is! :)
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6076.21 In reply to 6076.20 
:)))
Booleans is booleans no matter is it nurbs or sub-d or MOI or Max or Rhino or GroBoto... or I'm wrong?
I can see only one difference in Groboto they automatically updates and you can keep parts.
All that stuff can be reproduced in moi not so graphically but it is not a big deal)
This is it :) What so confused you?
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Show messages:  1  2-21  22-41  42-61  62-81  …  102-119