Strange interaction between Boolean Union and Boolean Diff

Next
Hi, I had a very strange situation just now which I'm documenting here in case it happens to anyone else. I have a fairly complex object that I was trying to add another object to. They are both solids, and they overlap considerably. I called them bodyA and flangeA. I also have very similar objects, bodyB and flangeB which I was able to union just fine. At one point I was able to union the A pair successfully, but undid it because I wasn't ready. Later, after making a lot of changes to *other* objects in the same file, but not these two, when I tried to union, bodyA was deleted and only flangeA remained. This behavior persisted through closing and reopening the file, making a new file and deleting all the other objects, quitting and restarting MoI, and tweaking flangeA slightly in a way I could revert after the union.

While constructing a file, noUnion.3dm, to attach to a forum post asking for help, I tried the union once more. As happens often, when I click on the Boolean button, the Diff option comes up selected. Without thinking, I checked Keep Objects, which had been unchecked before. I then realized that I wanted to union instead, just to verify that the file I was sending had the problem. This time the union succeeded. I tried in my original file, and the union succeeded. I tried unchecking Keep Objects again, but now the union continues to succeed. Apparently there is some bug where the program can get into a state that the Keep Objects flag on Diff affects Union, but I don't have any idea how it got there.

Possibly this will help someone else who may have this problem. I was tearing my hair out for several hours trying to figure it out or work around it. Michael if you would like the file I was working with I have it saved, but it works now...

Rachel
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
6057.2 In reply to 6057.1 
Hi Rachel, sometimes some bugs can just be odd, especially if they involve use of uninitialized memory, one side effect of that particular kind of bug can be different results just on different runs depending on what just happened to be done prior to it... It's possible that you ran into some bug related that.

It wouldn't hurt for me to take a look at the file, maybe if I run it under the debugger I'll be able to see some trace of the bug.

If you want to keep the file private you can send it to me through e-mail at moi@moi3d.com.

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All