Nurbs Newbie need a little help
 1-17  18-21

Previous
Next
604.18 In reply to 604.15 
Hi Will,

> Michael, is there a way you can add a function to >highlight open curves< like this?

Here is one way - you can add a script macro that is launched by a keyboard shortcut to select all open curves. That will effectively highlight the open curves in yellow.

To do this, make sure MoI is closed, and then open up the moi.ini file using notepad. You can find moi.ini under C:\Documents and Settings\<your login name>\Application Data\Moi\moi.ini

Under the [Shortcut Keys] section, add this line (put everything for the O= on just one single long line):

[Shortcut Keys]
O=script:var curves = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().getCurves(); for ( var i = 0; i < curves.length; ++i ) if ( !curves.item(i).isClosed ) curves.item(i).selected = true;

With that in place, you can then push the O key on the keyboard to select all open curves.

It's a bit difficult to think of a way to automatically highlight open curves, because there are many situations where open curves are not an error.. Like for instance in the steps I recently showed here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=606.4, there are several open curves which are fine being open.

I guess it would be good to warn not just for any open curve, but for ones that seemed like they were almost closed but not quite.

One thing that would be nice if I had a kind of "feedback" or "error" area where I could put a few lines of informative messages about warnings and other such things after a command had finished. But I haven't really figured out a good place in the UI to put stuff like that yet.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
604.19 In reply to 604.18 
Seems work fine !
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
604.20 In reply to 604.18 
Thanks Michael for the script! I'll definitely add it to the INI file asap!

Yes, I realize that some open curves are not errors, actually I felt my idea of displaying open curves in one color and and closed ones in another was a perfect solution to this; immediate feedback as to the type of curve you're working with.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
604.21 In reply to 604.20 
Hi Will,

> actually I felt my idea of displaying open curves in one color and
> closed ones in another was a perfect solution to this; immediate feedback
> as to the type of curve you're working with.

There's no doubt that it would immediately visually distinguish those types of curves. But I guess that my concern would be that someone would see that curves were being differentiated somehow but not really understand immediately what was the basis for the differences. That can kind of lead to a sort of "huh?" type feeling...

I've been pretty conservative with trying not to use too many different colors for different things because for version 2.0 I want to enable you to assign your own colors to different curves to help in visually grouping them by your own schemes.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-17  18-21