method for miter

Next
Hallo together,

This is a part of a pavilion.
I am looking for a simple method, to find the miter between to overlapping frames and second to find the miter betwenn two frames which are having a chink.

Rudl

EDITED: 17 Jul 2013 by RUDL

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6038.2 In reply to 6038.1 
Hi Rudl, I'm sorry but I'm not really understanding what you're trying to do here.

Are you trying to make a frame in this area marked in red here? :

Or are you talking about something different from that?

Is each individual frame supposed to be planar? And also a constant thickness around a central curve?

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6038.3 In reply to 6038.1 
You can use the bisector line script to create a line with half the angle between two lines.
Your can use the angle script to measure the angle between two lines.
-Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6038.4 In reply to 6038.2 
I think he's looking for a way to cut the frames miters, like this:

But the geometry is kindof all over the place, so it will be hard. I was going to boolean merge then delete the isects.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hallo Burrman,

that´s right, it is like this shown in your picture.

And between r17 and r3 it is necessary to close the chink.

Rudl
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6038.6 In reply to 6038.5 
Hi Rudl,
Well, here's a short video of me making those frames match:

In the first "chink" part, I just get the edges of the top and bottom piece and loft and planar a little solid to fill the gap.

For the second one, you can see me cut a new angle on the piece so I can get a matching seam where they meet. But my cut was just arbitrary to make a meeting.

Maybe wait a bit because I think there are some pro architechs here that may know better how a situation like this should be handled. I think there is something wrong with the setup, but it may just be because you have various angles meeting in more than a couple planes which make the miter more than just "2 45's meeting". Like someone could tell you that if the one is at 60 and the other is at -10 then you need this math to get the vector for the miter..... etc....

Anyway
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6038.7 In reply to 6038.4 
Hi Rudl, well you can create a dividing plane like Burr is showing above and then do a boolean difference on each frame using that same dividing plane as the cutting object. That will slice each frame to a common plane.

But since the objects are not aligned to one another they will not naturally touch each other when cut at a single common plane, your objects just do not naturally align with one another.

If 2 objects made up of planes touch at one corner but are at totally different orientations to one another, they just do not geometrically touch each other when both are cut by a single plane...

Maybe you want something more like the different planes being extended beyond the current boundries of your frames until the extensions intersect one another. You'll probably need to do something like that by making larger planes by scaling them up and then using Construct > Curve > Isect to intersect planes with one another to get your boundaries.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6038.8 In reply to 6038.6 
Here's another one where I use a Bisector line like Bemfarmer mentions, to get an "even bevel" between the 2 frames. I'm not sure if I grabed the proper bisector in this case, using the top frame and the bottom frames edges for the dividing line.

I will watch for some of the others to chime in.

""""""""In the first "chink" part, I just get the edges of the top and bottom piece and loft and planar a little solid to fill the gap""""""""

I see for the chink part, you would want to extrude the 2 surfaces up and down and boolean them in, then cut them with the bisector line also.

EDITED: 18 Jul 2013 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6038.9 In reply to 6038.5 
Hi Rudl, here's the basic extension process.

I'll focus on the connection between these 2 pieces here:

First select the inside faces and use Edit > Separate so you have just these 2 pieces here:

Now you want to get 2 bigger planes for each of these so you can intersect the 2 extended planes to find the common juncture curve. The easiest way to do that is to select all the edges on both of those surfaces (select one edge on each and then do Ctrl+A for select all is the quickest), and then push Delete to do an "untrim" operation where the current trim boundaries will be removed and the full "underlying surface" that's underneath all the trim curves will be exposed. This underlying surface is already a large extended plane so you won't need to do any additional extension. After you have done the untrim (again, that's by selecting all edges and doing Delete), you will have this kind of result with 2 big planes:

Select both planes and run Construct > Curve > Isect to generate the intersection line between them:

Now it's probably easiest to select that intersection curve and do Ctrl+C to copy it, then undo things back until you have your previous trimmed surfaces again and then do Ctrl+V to paste the intersection curve back in. That will give you this result:

That curve there is the intersection between the 2 extended planes, that is where you probably want the interior boundary to be at. You can either build some little fragments to fill in that area or you can extend the current edges to make a new big outline and then remake one big planar surface that has this new intersection line as its boundary rather than the previous unextended one.

You'll need to do this between all surfaces and in areas where multiple planes are coming together you'll need to trim these intersections with one another to make the final boundaries.

Hope this is going in the right direction...

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6038.10 In reply to 6038.1 
Hi Rudl, and here's an example for how it would look in junctures between multiple surfaces, see the attached 3DM file.

Here I used the above technique to generate "extended plane intersection lines" between each adjacent pair of surfaces and then trimmed those lines with each other to get this kind of structure:

Then I used Trim on the surfaces using these boundary lines as the cutting objects to cut away the excess parts. That gives a result like this:

Now there is some fill in work to do as well but since you now have a good common boundary line it should not be difficult to build in some little fill in plane pieces in the empty space areas.

One thing to note that typically when you have multiple offset planes all at different angles some areas of the inside place will not come to just one single vertex for every exterior vertex but will actually have some areas where the exterior vertex bifurcates into multiple vertices on the interior that are connected by lines to one another. That's like this area here:

That's basically just how offset geometry works... Things that are all at different angles to one another when offset don't necessarily come to just one single point in the intersection of all offsets...

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thank you for your help. I will look at this later in the day.

Two shots, how the whole thing looks.

Rudl
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All