scaling rail problems

Next
Hi Michael,

i am having some problems applying the scaling rail technique. Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes not. In my example on the left i have a open rail curve and a polyline as scaling rail. On the right the rail is a closed loop and the scaling rail a closed polyline. It takes a lot of time to calculate when i pick the scaling rail, but in the end it doesn't do anything. Is there a techical reason that the scaling rail wouldn't work with closed (primary) rails in general?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
603.2 In reply to 603.1 
Hi Michael, it's not the closed primary rail that is the problem, it is the sharp corners in the scaling rail.

Right now a scaling rail that has sharp corners in it will not work properly. Sometimes it may produce a kind of strange lump in the surface as in your first example, or other times it may fail to produce a proper surface at all.

For version 1.0 you'll need to use a scaling rail that is smooth through out, no sharp corners. In the future I can fix this up, it will involve splitting the sweep up into multiple segments between each sharp corner in the scaling rail.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All