MI 17 V5
 1-20  21-31

Next
Hallow people just want to share with you my latest project I'm working on.
This is detailed model of Russian combat helicopter MI 17 V5.
My client approved model so I can share it.

This model was totally made in MOI no any other software was used.

As you can see the body of helicopter is very organic. So after long research I discovered new method that allows to produce practically any type of organic objects.
I do not meat this method before. I'll made tutorial later.

This part was one of hardest to connect all that surfaces together:

And this was the hardest part, it was very hard to meat angles of surface and place all the windows in right place to meat reference from all views..

This is curves I used to make this model, I keep them all hiden to have posibilite to restore any shape of model. They have different style so I easily can unhide any curves for any detail.

And some shaded view:

I'm going to render it very realistic, for this I made custom pictures with measured space from different angles. I'll post it as soon as it will be finished.

EDITED: 12 Jul 2013 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
WOWWWWWWW!!!!

Phenomenal work Andrei!

I'd love to see your approach to getting the organic shapes.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.3 In reply to 6028.2 
" ... So after long research I discovered new method that allows to produce practically any type of organic objects.
I'll made tutorial later."

Very nice work. I'm sure we would all like to see your tutorial. Plus, Majik Mike won't get any sleep until you post it :)

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.4 In reply to 6028.3 
=-/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Congratulations, outstanding work!

(can't wait for that tutorial...:-))

Best regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Oh boy! First time I have been left dribbling and speechless on MoI forum ...

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.7 In reply to 6028.1 
It looks awesome Andrei!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.8 In reply to 6028.1 
Nice!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This is Awsomenes of Epicnism
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.10 In reply to 6028.1 
Fantastic work! Iam especially interested in the tutorial around organic concepts. I know Michael siad in another post that nurbs modeling does not make itself conducive to organic shapes, but I think you may just have done it! Looking forward to the tutorial!

John
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.11 In reply to 6028.10 
> I know Michael siad in another post that nurbs modeling does not make itself conducive to organic shapes...

I know Michael has said that, but probably more as a way to express the inherent difficulty in employing 2D-to-3D CAD Boolean methods of modeling upon NURBS surfaces - especially in context to requests dealing with T-Splines and SUB-D type manipulation.

NURBS surfaces can be used to create about anything you can think of, of course to a finite degree of difficulty... It's just the modeling process of translating 'idea' to 'surface' that's the tricky part.

People and Animals are really hard to create because there is a great degree of subtle difficulty that define the exterior of a complex flexible organism.
...and that's 'difficulty' that you, the human with the brain, perceives to be correct.

But any machine, vehicle, or piece of furniture are perfect for NURBS. Any they can be extremely "organic". It's ultimately about finding the right tool and method for 'approximating' an organic shape.

If you don't know, T-Splines can actually convert to standard NURBS surfaces, at the cost of often adding beau-coups of additional NURBS sections.

I've noted one aspect of using an application like MoI that is more prominent than given direct credit for: MoI is simply a tool - most of the magic comes from "technique". :-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.12 In reply to 6028.11 
""""""""MoI is simply a tool - most of the magic comes from "technique". :-) """""""""""""""

Pretty sure Andrei could model a helicopter in any application.... :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.13 In reply to 6028.11 
Thanx everybody)
Just wanted to say that when I have to make this model I started it in MOI from helicopter body and was not satisfied with result. And at the same time I started to make it in sub-d in Cinema 4d, I made body and was satisfied how it looks in C4D, than I converted it to nurbs by using T-Spline and import it in MOI. When I open it in MOI I was disappointed the surface was smooth but with different kind of hills that are visible only with hard specular shader in MOI. And I understand that shader in Cinema 4D smooth objects and hide this hardly noticeable hills. Than I started to make it using T-Spline, but stoped it because I don't like this workflow...

I entered in MOI and said to my self I will find way how to make it in MOI. I spend about 3 days experimenting and step by step I discovered way that allow to make practically any kind of organic surface that WAS MADE BY PEOPLE. The result was great ideally smoothed surface, I was satisfied.
When I find this method I made body for one day and the rest in another day, and polish model for another 1 day. Now when I polished this method I think I can make this body for 1 hour.
At this time I'm busy a bit, and I will make tutorial on next week, I see people are interested in it.
I love MOI and prefer to make everything in it, that is why I spent a lot of time experimenting to find method to make organic stuff and do not go to Sub-D or T-spline.

EDITED: 13 Jul 2013 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.14 In reply to 6028.13 
"""""""""""""""""" I spend about 3 days experimenting and step by step I discovered way
When I find this method I made body for one day and the rest in another day, and polish model for another 1 day."""""""""""""

Key information for mortals........ :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.15 In reply to 6028.14 
I concur!

It's the same reason why I haven't made any tutorial videos... so you guys don't have to see the fumbles and negative steps back before a good positive solution is implemented.
Sometimes I have to try each of any alternative solution I come up with just to say I tried it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.16 In reply to 6028.11 
Thanks Mike!

I have to admit this is all new to me in a big way. I have been messing with the vectric Software that came with my CNC, but I just haven't been able to get those free flowing curves and recurves that are in jazz guitars and les pauls. As I mentioned in an earlier post I tried a lot of trials like Alibre, bought ViaCad and Max 3D and the UI just didn't seem intuitive, it seemed to get in the way of the drawing and experimenting. The second night i messed around with MOI I was able to create a very nice sort of undulating surface on an LP type guitar top. It was far from perfect but it made my heart race! As to all the technology behind 3D software I am a total novice. In the past I have hand built all my guitars but now want to combine my natural geekiness with my artistic side and this seems to fit the bill. And then let the CNC carve the tops and backs for the most part. Plus you guys have all contributed tons of info on the forum for me to study.

Hopefully I won't ask too many redundant questions, but you guys just point me at old threads if you don't mind and I will study up! I'm loving this so far!

John
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
" ... so you guys don't have to see the fumbles and negative steps back before a good positive solution is implemented"

Actually I've been watching a series of machinist tutorials on You Tube. What makes them unique is they show every mistake in their planning, how they corrected their mistakes, and how they finally produced good parts. I learn more from watching them work through the problems than I do watching a rehearsed final solution.

That's why I enjoy MoI postings from someone who doesn't get expected results, followed by experienced members posting multiple solutions.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.18 In reply to 6028.16 
>Hopefully I won't ask too many redundant questions,..

Redundancy is a great teacher. Feel free to ask away!

Ed, so true!

And I do get to show the occasional hitch in my tutorials.

Though, it's the graphic designer in me that desires to present the more polished product.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well...first of all we have to keep in mind what is the target

1) model to render
2) model to 3d print
3)model to techical draw and manifacturing

First target don't need an accurate modeling,just smooth surfaces.
I saw all your models Andrei,you make the main part then just assembly the details
take a look at the screenshot where i drew red arrows:those parts are not joined..just "placed"
now try to imagine if the customer wants also the hely printed in 3D:you must have a solid..
this means not only to melt all parts together,but often also fillet most of edges
take a look at the part i highlighted in blue:is not joined and also you have the seam that surely will make problems if filleted.

You don't care of all this things because you'll use this hely for 2D images..and you'are right !!

<<Moi is a tool..just depends by technique>>
I still support idea that here we can do ALMOST everything
I did a lot of complex objects with MOI and also "NOT-CAD" stuff ( pineapple..baguettes..recentely also banana plants..)
Most complex surface i did was front part of 500 Abarth

i spent a month to get that shape,and i knew it wasn't feasible here
Now i say to myself:"Mauro..you are a stupid to insist to get that kind of shapes"
I'm a industry mechanic and manteinance,so i work manually
Firts rule is always to use right tools for assembly-disassembly
i know..you can use the hammer to disassembly a bearing instead of the manual press...
when i did that part of 500 in MOI,i used "the hammer"...because..."i didn't have the press"(the right tool)

That's the reason why i never stop to dream that,soon or later, - "The Messiah" - (T-Splines or something like that) will appear in MOI "to save us" !! :)

Leave critics and weird thoughts apart..let me say to you,Andrei,all my compliments for your renders:Bravissimo!

M

EDITED: 14 Jul 2013 by M-DYNAMICS

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6028.20 In reply to 6028.19 
Thanx m-dynamics,
Yes you are right I made it for render and may be animation, so I can allow to my self not to spend time fixing those things you are marked. Just leave them as they are)
But If it have to be printed on 3D printer, it could be fixed.
Good work with the car)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-31