Bad lines inside

Next
Dear friends, please help!
After Boolean operations inside the figure were unnecessary (?) Line.
I can not figure out how to remove them from there. I think they're unnecessary and polluting the geometry. But how?
I'm confused and ask for advice.

Enclosed is a model and a picture of the problem.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6006.2 In reply to 6006.1 
Michael! And another question for you, even if it will seem ridiculous.

Solid and Joined Srf. - What are their essential difference?
And how to convert Joined Srf. to Solid again?

Because after my model - for some reason was of solid Joined Srf.
And now some Boolean operations do not want to run as before.
Help me, please!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
For the no wished lines

Select All / Separate
Hide some surfaces
Erase Lines
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

The geometry you highlighted is not an edge, if you zoom in you'll see that is actually a very thin surface running horizontally and two holes very thin holes running vertically in your model. If that is not intentional you might want to align and rebuild that area of the model.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6006.5 In reply to 6006.4 
Krass,
Solid is closed joined surface. Joined surface is when surfaces are joined but not close. To solids you can apply booleans to joined surface only partially.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6006.6 In reply to 6006.5 
What is "closed"? ((
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6006.7 In reply to 6006.6 
Hi krass, a "closed" solid means an object that is made up of set of surfaces joined to one another so that every edge of every surface is joined to another surface. An object created like that then forms a closed watertight skin that defines a volume.

If you have some surface edges that only belong to one surface (these are called "naked" edges) then that means your object does not form a closed volume and it's an open surface instead.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6006.8 In reply to 6006.2 
Hi krass, just to address your original question more directly:

> Solid and Joined Srf. - What are their essential difference?

A solid means it's a "watertight" volume, where all edges are joined between 2 surfaces, so your model has a continuous skin that divides space into separate inside and outside areas.

A "Joined srf" means that you have some naked edges in the model, those are edges that are open and only belong to one surface instead of being joined between 2 surfaces.

For example if you draw a box and delete the top face, there will be an open area on the top and it will not be a solid anymore.

> And how to convert Joined Srf. to Solid again?

You need to find where the naked edges are and construct surfaces and join them in to fill those areas in.

There is a script you can set up that can help you to locate naked edges:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3804.2

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6006.9 In reply to 6006.1 
Hi krass, and yes like OSTexo mentions above, the problem is that there are some teeny tiny little slivery surfaces in that area, if you zoom in very closely you can see that there's a kind of little tiny slot or shelf in the side of your shape. It probably came from doing booleans with some pieces which were not quite aligned with one another:

There's a little tiny "roof" like piece at the top of that slot, and it does not run the whole length so it may have been 2 pieces that were at some slight angle to one another when they were booleaned together or something like that.

It should probably be possible to repair that area of the model by doing some "utrim" and retrim type techniques, I will try to help do that for you a bit later today. If you want to try it yourself there is a tutorial here that describes the general techniques to use for object repair:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6006.10 In reply to 6006.1 
Hi krass, I've attached a 3DM file with a repaired version of your object, it is now a solid.

To repair it I removed that little tiny kind of slot opening that I showed in the screenshot above.

The first step for removing the slot was to zoom in and delete the little tiny roof piece of it. To zoom in to see that you have to use the "Zoom area" tool and get centered in on the top of the slot, and then zoom in a fair ways and then it's possible to select the little silvery top piece of the slot and delete it:

Then the slot was cut out of this side part here - select this face and the one on the opposite side and delete those too:

When deleted your object will look like this with 2 big holes on either side:

Now to finish the repair those holes need to be filled in with a new surface. In this particular case, those holes are planar areas of the model and those happen to be very easy to fill in, there is a tool Construct > Planar that will fill in planar openings like that by making a trimmed plane there and joining it into place. So select the object and run Construct > Planar and then those holes will be sealed off and you'll have a repaired solid object.

Those are the steps that I did to make the attached repaired 3DM file. Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6006.11 In reply to 6006.10 
You guys are so cool!
Thank you very much for your advice and help, I appreciate your efforts.
Michael - you're the best! ;))
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All