Supercar in moi3d update and some questions

Next
I'v been trying to create a concept car with less patches and with more continues surfaces.Here are some screenshots.Please give me some feedbacks,critics and advices,if you like.Should I continue it with moi3d or to try to create it with rhino3d.For now I'm very persistant to develope the whole model with moi3d.

My question is why I have some problems with my Samsung Galaxy S4 model created in moi3d,when I render it in rhino 4.0 and viewing 3ds file in glc player.It shows some black patches as you can see on my image preview.In moi3d it looks everything ok.Created with moi3d v3.Thanx for your help Michael and thanx for creating awesome and affordable software moi3d.Thanx to moi3d I became Nurbs modeling addicted.Keep up the good work.

EDITED: 21 Jun 2013 by ZENOX3D

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5973.2 In reply to 5973.1 
I believe that without 3DM file Michael will have some difficulties to answer you! ;)

You can post it here or at moi@moi3d.com if problem of confidentiality ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5973.3 In reply to 5973.1 
Hi Nikola, one thing is you should generally avoid using 3DS format, try using OBJ format instead.

3DS is a very old file format, it was part of the old original MS-DOS version of 3D Studio (not 3DS "Max"), and it has various limitations in the format itself, one of which is no way to have vertex normals smoothing information included in the file. When you can get vertex normals going through into your rendering it usually helps quite a bit.

But also with the kind of thing that you have there on the crown of your phone model, that's probably some kind of problem in the model itself, I think it's likely that if you zoom in to that area in MoI you'll probably see the surface is probably kind of bunched up awkwardly or folded over back on top of itself in a small area near the tip. That can happen if you do a revolve with a profile that's not quite planar or the revolve axis is slightly off or some of the curves that you used for a sweep did not quite touch each other end-to-end exactly or things like that.

I'll take a look at your model to try and zero in on the problem area.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5973.4 In reply to 5973.1 
Hi Nikola, you have to zoom in quite closely to the tip to see it and also it helps to turn on the surface control points but here you can see how the surface folds back over top of itself in a small area near the top there:

When a surface folds back over top of itself like that in a small area, it means the surface normal chaotically bounces from one side to the opposite side, that's what's making for the odd shading there.

It may be possible to fix this up ok by selecting those control points at the top and collapsing them down to a single point instead their current semi-chaotic arrangement, that's what I've done with the attached updated model.

If you've constructed that surface using something like Network or Sweep you might zoom into that area in your original construction curves and see if the curves are not quite touching each other.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5973.5 In reply to 5973.4 
Hi Michael,

Thanx as always for your help and quick answer.I will pay more attention more when playing with some of the tools.I saw the error myself,like you showed me on your images.Thanx to your answer now I can learn how to see and fix problems with surfaces.I'm not sure what method I used, cause I deleted curves for building it.I will try to avoid 3ds file in the future too.

You saw the screenshots of my supercar concept in this post.I want it to create it in moi3d,but I'm not sure if I'm getting it right.I'm trying to create it with more continues surfaces,but with less small patches.Last night I tried everything,the best result was like on my screenshots and with vertical profiles of car lofted.Should I continue to build it with moi3d or try to model it with rhino 4.0.I'm planning also to get me a rendering software(maybe simlab),so I could see how it looks with realistic materials.I tried to export it in to blender3d,but there are always some bad issues,and I'v been reading a lot here on forum why this happends.I have to design a real supercar prototype for a client,but I must use 3dm,igs,dxf or dwg formats.If you have time,I could send you my 3dm file via email,for you to check and give me some advices on how to model it better.Again thanx for your help and quick answer.

Best Regards from Nikola
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5973.6 In reply to 5973.5 
Hi Nikola,

> You saw the screenshots of my supercar concept in this post.I want it to create it in moi3d,but I'm not sure if I'm getting it right.

Well, there's not only one "right" kind of a car, it depends on what kind of result you're looking for I guess. What I mean is that you're the one that really has to decide if you're getting the right result you need or not...

> I'm trying to create it with more continues surfaces,but with less small patches.Last
> night I tried everything,the best result was like on my screenshots and with vertical
> profiles of car lofted.Should I continue to build it with moi3d or try to model it with rhino 4.0.

Rhino does have some additional continuity tools that could be useful for you which MoI does not have yet, like the MatchSrf command for example. If you need to adjust surfaces to be continuous with one another then using those tools in Rhino could help with that.

Cars though in general are pretty difficult models.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5973.7 In reply to 5973.6 
Hi Michael,

I fixed the problem with samsung galaxy s4 model.I cut that ugly part and then connected 2 surfaces with loft command.Thanx for your help.

I have only one question,cause I saw you or someone mentioned about ViaCad 2d\3d V8 software from Punchcad in one post.I checked it out,and tried to play a little.There are some tools similar to moi3d,but there are even more tools for building the surfaces.I'm planning to invest in it,and combine it with moi3d.Is it good for building the carbodies and other vehicular stuff? I know it is very heavy to build a car,but I must find the way to do it.It is my dream to design a real car,and have the opportunity to realize it.Everything started last year when I designed my Exona concept in blender3d.After that online success of my concept car,people started to contact me to design real cars for them.If you like you could check about my concept on link below.I'm very sorry if I took your precious time with my automotive questions.Anyway thanx Michael for you help and advices,and enjoy my work.Looking forward to a new tools and scripts in moi3d v3.

Best Regards from Nikola

http://www.carscoops.com/2012/10/serbian-designer-dreams-up-his-own.html
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Effectively very cool car !

Don't focus on the prog but draw by hand 25 hours by 24! ;)

A cool guy http://www.youtube.com/user/scottrobertsondesign
http://scottrobertsonworkshops.com/

The more beautiful cars that I have seen were build with Sketchup! ( a free box modeling prog ;) http://www.sketchup.com/
see this guy ;) (24 pages)
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=§ion=&global=1&q=600v
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5973.9 In reply to 5973.7 
Hi Nikola,

> I'm planning to invest in it,and combine it with moi3d.Is it good for building the
> carbodies and other vehicular stuff?

I don't really know about that - ViaCAD can be a good tool to have along with MoI mainly for doing filleting and 2D drawing generation. I'm not entirely sure but I don't think it will help a whole lot for freeform type surface modeling like you will be doing with car body stuff.

There is a book about car modeling using Rhino, that may be useful for you:
http://v5.rhino3d.com/profiles/blogs/3d-car-modeling-with-rhino

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5973.10 In reply to 5973.8 
Hi Pilou,

Thanx for nice feedbacks about my concept.Check other thumbnail images under the text on carscoops,and you will see the rear view is more beautiful,then front is.It was designed from scratch without image refs,just by following my mind in blender3d.Created for 4 days only,but that is polygonal tool,for me much easier then nurbs softwares.
I also do my sketching on paper and sometimes with graphic tablet with sketchbook pro.I know about Scott Robertson and I learned a lot from him,particularly about drawing and car designing.I subscribed to his youtube channel,and he always shows some tricks and tips about drawing,digital painting,etc.I saw a lots of beautiful concept cars created with different softwares.It mostly depends from software skills,creativity and inspiration.But most creativity tool for designing for me is graphic tablet and sketchbook pro or similar software for digital painting and drawing.Here is the link for my concept car sketches and car 3d models,you could check it if you like.Enjoy my gallery.

http://koleos33.deviantart.com/gallery/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5973.11 In reply to 5973.10 
Amazing gallery!

And cool Rhino animation!

EDITED: 21 Jun 2013 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5973.12 In reply to 5973.9 
Hi Michael,

Thanx for your help and advices.I sent a message to punchcad team and asked them to tell me is it good to use viacad 2d/3d v8 for creating vehicular forms.Also I will google it and check their forum.I will be patient for better tools in the future for moi3d,like matchsurf for example.Until then I will push the limits with product design and other industrial design stuff.Thanx again for creating awesome software moi3d.Must say when working in 3ds max 8 years ago,I always escaped from nurbs tools.Thanx to moi3d and rhino3d I found it is very valuable to work with nurbs tools.Best wishes for your future projects Michael.

Best Regards from Nikola
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All