Exporting assemblies as individual selectable objects

Next
Hi there!

I just purchased MOI for export of Solidworks files into Cinema 4D. I have a rather big file from Solidworks consisting of around 20 assemblies. When I export as a FBX from MOI, I am able to import it to Cinema 4D, but the whole object is merged together into one big object.

How do I export from MOI so that each assembly is selectable inside my 3D program?

Bests
Henrik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5967.2 In reply to 5967.1 
Hi Henrick, is it possible that all your objects have a name attribute on them and they all have the same name?

I believe that Cinema4D automatically combines objects with the same name together into one single big object, that may be what is going on there.

Try clearing the name attribute when in MoI, when you export totally unnamed objects MoI will auto name them like "object 1", "object 2", etc... so they should be separately selectable then.

You also might try using OBJ format instead of FBX format if you still see problems with FBX format.

To clear the object names, do a "Select all" (ctrl+a) and then click on the name field in the object properties panel here:

After you click there, an "Edit name" dialog will pop up, push backspace to remove the name and push "OK" with the name field empty and that will remove the name property on all those objects and they should then get auto named with separate names at export time.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5967.3 In reply to 5967.2 
Hi Mike!

Thanks for your quick reply! I found out the problem was the STEP file format. Instead I exported a SAT file from Solidworks, which gave me individually selectable objects.

Thanks for a great piece of software, I'm really surprised how well it translates the nurbs files into polys.

Bests
Henrik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5967.4 In reply to 5967.3 
Hi Henrick, probably the difference was that in STEP format object names were coming through and it happened that all the objects had the same name. With SAT export probably no names came through.

You could have probably gotten the result you wanted with the STEP import if you cleared the names by the process I described above.

It would be nice if Cinema4D had an import option for whether to combine objects of the same name together into one single big object, it can sometimes be problematic that they just automatically combine separate objects with the same name into one chunk.

I'm glad that you're liking MoI, I hope it is useful for you!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All