Repeat option in Offset

Next
Hi Michael,

I think I've just stumbled upon a possible bug with the "Repeat" option when using Offset...
...and it would seem to have been there in V2 also..?

I created a series of random sized Circles & wanted to Offset their OD by selecting them individually while in Offset...
So I ticked the "Repeat" option & selected my first Circle & offset it without any issues, but then I couldn't select any other Circles?
Having created the Offset, if I then click the Cancel button (while Repeat still ticked) the Offset function closes & I need to reopen it again??

Obviously I'd assumed that the Offset "Repeat" would work in the same manner that "Repeat" does when using Line or Polyline tools.
Could I have the wrong idea?

Wanted to be sure, so tested the same function in V2 & found the exact same situation...
...so not sure if this is something that's been missed until now or if it's how everyone else expects the Offset "Repeat" should work??

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5954.2 In reply to 5954.1 
Use one time the Offset function on a circle
Select "by distance"
Left click
Left click

So for the others circle (or any figures)
Select your Circle (or any figures)
Right click
move mouse
Left click
Left click
Select your Circle (or any figures)
Right click
etc...

EDITED: 12 Jun 2013 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5954.3 In reply to 5954.1 
Hi Colin - things that involve object selection are kind of different form drawing commands like line and polyline, because of the additional selection step involved.

The way that repeat is really set to work with offset is when you want to generate multiple offsets all of just one same original base curve. You can select the curve, run offset, and then click the "Repeat" checkbox, and after you place each offset the offset command will automatically restart and let you immediately place another point to create a new offset with each click, until you do a cancel.

If you need to change the selection and make offsets on different curves instead of all on one same curve, then you won't be able to use the "Repeat" checkbox to help with that, but you can still use the right-click to repeat the last command to help out though. Get your selection set up and then right-click when you want to do a new offset.

> Having created the Offset, if I then click the Cancel button (while Repeat still ticked) the
> Offset function closes & I need to reopen it again??

Yes, that's how the repeat checkbox is set up to work - it will automatically re-launch the command until you either uncheck repeat and finish the current command or you hit cancel.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi Pilou & Michael,

Thanks for the clarification.

regards Colin