How to make this figure?
 1-7  8-27  28-34

Previous
Next
5935.8 In reply to 5935.6 
Thank you Michael, could you pleas help me make this figure, I can do it with last method you showed with fillets, but how to make it with network?

EDITED: 20 Jul 2013 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.9 In reply to 5935.7 
<< This just a one detail of big model so it stay on it's position

Sure but you can open an another session in the same time and make Ctrl +C / Ctrl + V between the 2 sessions!
So you have your entiere modele in one, the "extract little object" in the another one where you have centered it on the grid!
Not a big deal to reput on the good position when you come back on the big object! One click on a specific snap point! :)
More easy working ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.10 In reply to 5935.9 
Good, just have a lot of thoughts in my head and didn't think about this)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.11 In reply to 5935.10 
No problemo! :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.12 In reply to 5935.8 
It doesn't work very well to make it with Network - you're trying to force the network through a lot of changes in shape. When you try to force one single surface construction through a lot of shape changes it becomes difficult to make things smooth, the surface is trying to do too many things all at once.

You should generally try to build surfaces that are more like one big sheet of one generally common shape to the sheet, then more tightly curved transitions between them are fillets or blends, usually not a part of just one single surface operation.

If you want to do it in a surfacing way you could try something like build a couple of different separate pieces and then use Blend between them.

Other things that can help with Network are - make sure you're using v3 because there have been improvements in that area, and try to make your pieces touch each other more precisely rather than having gaps and overshoots where cross sections come together.

It usually just does not work very well to try to build a surface that's going through multiple shape changes in one single surfacing operation though.

And also like I mentioned previously the more regular you make your shape can help as well, so you'd probably want to make it a bit larger probably with vertical profiles and then cut away material from the side.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.13 In reply to 5935.8 
Hi mir4ea,

re: attachment tmp3.3dm - that's an even more significant example of trying to do too many shape changes in one single surfacing operation...

You've got to break things down into smaller components than that, probably something like a base rail revolve to make main shape, some indented areas probably done by booleaning away some swept shapes and then doing fillets to smooth out the cuts.

When using a surfacing command, the surface that is generated should be more of one single common element throughout the form, if you have tight bends in it, that's usually where you should be having fillets or blends between 2 different broadly shaped surfaces instead of trying to build it in one single surface creation command.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.14 In reply to 5935.10 
Hi mir4ea, also re: attachment tmp3.3dm - just in general the more that your shape becomes a kind of melty blobby shape and not very strongly defined primarily by side profiles, it becomes a better fit for doing in a polygon modeling program using sub-d smoothing rather than using NURBS modeling for it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.15 In reply to 5935.12 
Thanx, starting to understand.
I break this figure on a parts, and starting to make it than i meat this problem
I can not join blanded surface on first figure? On second blend works well

EDITED: 20 Jul 2013 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.16 In reply to 5935.15 
I solve this problem by using network to make surface between 2 blends... Is it other way?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.17 In reply to 5935.16 
Very curious : i have absoluytly no problem with your file to use directly the Blend function!

Just click segment 1+1 call Blend
Just click segment 2+2 call Blend
Just click segment 3+3 call Blend
etc... very painful :)

Danger with Blend is that your are not sure that the "latteral sides" are always proof or intersected between them!
So you must very verify that you have a solid at the end!

EDITED: 3 Jun 2013 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 5935.18 deleted 3 Jun 2013 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

Previous
Next
5935.19 In reply to 5935.18 
try to join these two surfaces. Is it work?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.20 In reply to 5935.19 
I have erased your red "blended" faces and the other yet blended for have the clean start forms then
click 1 1, 2,2 3,3 as shown on my image above!

Absolutly non problem!

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.21 In reply to 5935.20 
shit.. tomorrow i'll bring my v3 here, sorry everybody..
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.22 In reply to 5935.21 
Yes I have used the Beta v 3 but not sure that change something! :)

EDITED: 3 Jun 2013 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.23 In reply to 5935.19 
Hi mir4ea, one thing that may make your blend case there easier is to select all those edges that you wish to blend and then run the Merge command on them:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#merge

That will merge together those fragmented edges into just one single long edge on each side which will be easier to blend.

Also on a shape like this where you have a protrusion the same size as a hole, it's probably better to round off the edges using fillet rather than blend - because Blend does not trim away any area when you have the same size hole as the object you are blending, it will force the blend to swoop around and make a rather bulgy result. If you instead do an extrusion and then fillet that, you'll get a less bulgy type of rounding.

So the steps you may want to use are like this, start with your surface and your 2D cutting profile:

Select the surface and run Edit > Trim and then use the curve as the cutting object. At the stage in Trim where it asks you to pick which pieces to discard, just right-click or push done to keep all the cut up pieces without discarding any. That will then give you an outside surface piece and an inside surface piece like this:

Select the inside piece and punch it out into a solid by using Construct > Extrude. You'll then have this result:

Go around to the back side of the solid and select the bottom face of it here:

And then delete it so the protrusion is open on the bottom like this:

Now join together those 2 pieces so you'll have one connected piece and now you can use Fillet to round those edges:

Hope this helps! Usually you should be trying to build more pieces of your model as solids using things like extrusions as part of the process.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.24 In reply to 5935.23 
Thanx Michael for you reply.
I solve this problem another way, I just rebuild 2D cutting profile to make it continuous curve then trim surface. It's close to your method (merge edges) but a little bit quicker no need to select all edges.
Yes I know about this method with extrusion but I wanted to make a little bit different object. Like this

As you can see I try to make a bit complex shape and simple functions like extrude and fillet unfortunately does not work here. I use more low level surface methods for this.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.25 In reply to 5935.24 
Hi mir4ea, that's coming together well! Sometimes instead of doing an extrusion you may want to do a tapered loft or something similar to generate the "side walls" and then trim or boolean those custom side walls into place and still use fillet at the end of that, and then that gives a different kind of shape than just a totally straight punched in thing.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.26 In reply to 5935.25 
"side walls" you mean this?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.27 In reply to 5935.26 
By "side walls", I mean this type of area here in the previous screenshots that I was showing:

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-7  8-27  28-34