How to make this figure?
 1-20  21-34

Previous
Next
5935.21 In reply to 5935.20 
shit.. tomorrow i'll bring my v3 here, sorry everybody..
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.22 In reply to 5935.21 
Yes I have used the Beta v 3 but not sure that change something! :)

EDITED: 3 Jun 2013 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.23 In reply to 5935.19 
Hi mir4ea, one thing that may make your blend case there easier is to select all those edges that you wish to blend and then run the Merge command on them:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#merge

That will merge together those fragmented edges into just one single long edge on each side which will be easier to blend.

Also on a shape like this where you have a protrusion the same size as a hole, it's probably better to round off the edges using fillet rather than blend - because Blend does not trim away any area when you have the same size hole as the object you are blending, it will force the blend to swoop around and make a rather bulgy result. If you instead do an extrusion and then fillet that, you'll get a less bulgy type of rounding.

So the steps you may want to use are like this, start with your surface and your 2D cutting profile:

Select the surface and run Edit > Trim and then use the curve as the cutting object. At the stage in Trim where it asks you to pick which pieces to discard, just right-click or push done to keep all the cut up pieces without discarding any. That will then give you an outside surface piece and an inside surface piece like this:

Select the inside piece and punch it out into a solid by using Construct > Extrude. You'll then have this result:

Go around to the back side of the solid and select the bottom face of it here:

And then delete it so the protrusion is open on the bottom like this:

Now join together those 2 pieces so you'll have one connected piece and now you can use Fillet to round those edges:

Hope this helps! Usually you should be trying to build more pieces of your model as solids using things like extrusions as part of the process.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.24 In reply to 5935.23 
Thanx Michael for you reply.
I solve this problem another way, I just rebuild 2D cutting profile to make it continuous curve then trim surface. It's close to your method (merge edges) but a little bit quicker no need to select all edges.
Yes I know about this method with extrusion but I wanted to make a little bit different object. Like this

As you can see I try to make a bit complex shape and simple functions like extrude and fillet unfortunately does not work here. I use more low level surface methods for this.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.25 In reply to 5935.24 
Hi mir4ea, that's coming together well! Sometimes instead of doing an extrusion you may want to do a tapered loft or something similar to generate the "side walls" and then trim or boolean those custom side walls into place and still use fillet at the end of that, and then that gives a different kind of shape than just a totally straight punched in thing.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.26 In reply to 5935.25 
"side walls" you mean this?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.27 In reply to 5935.26 
By "side walls", I mean this type of area here in the previous screenshots that I was showing:

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.28 In reply to 5935.27 
Hay Michael just some thoughts..
After reading this article
http://www.core77.com/blog/featured_items/a_periodic_table_of_form_the_secret_language_of_surface_and_meaning_in_product_design_by_gray_holland_12752.asp

I think when you talking about making this form using extrude, loft and fillet you are more talking about "Tangent forms"
But I wanted to make more "Curvature" form that is why I used more Blend and Network commands.
Moi is very effective and simple in use when you want to make "Tangent forms". But when modeling "Curvature" forms it needs a bit more experience)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.29 In reply to 5935.28 
If you're doing heavy "curvature forms", it can often be a sign that you would be better off using a toolset that is more heavily oriented around organic form modeling like polygon sub-d modeling, rather than using NURBS modeling.

NURBS modeling is generally at it's most effective when you're doing more mechanical shapes that are more strongly defined by 2D profile curves and have cut away areas. Organic models frequently do not fit into that category and generally work better with the sub-d modeling toolset instead.

So that's why that kind of modeling has not been a major focus for MoI, because there's a different kind of toolset that is generally more oriented towards doing it.

I do plan on improving various aspects of curvature continuity in MoI in the future though, but really if it's the main kind of thing you're focused on a sub-d modeler is probably just a better fit.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.30 In reply to 5935.29 
I have some experience in sub-d modeling I modeled in C4D, but Nurbs is more for me. I have no inspiration working with sub-d. So I like a lot the challenge that moi gives to me when I need to make more organic shapes. My brains work and I like it. Nurbs is more clear for me. May be if I will have some complex shapes that I can not make in moi I'll use T-splain in rhino. But I don't make totally organic shapes, I do not model charters or something like this in moi. I preffer more techinical stuff but love Curvature forms for bodies. I just think this way: if any type of Ferrari can be modeled in Moi than it is good for me.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.31 In reply to 5935.30 
Well, MoI's filleting has up to G 3's, but if the "look" of it is not what you thought you wanted, you have to change the underlying "staight parts" to acheive the look. In other words, you have to know what the underlying straight part should be modeled like to get the "look" after the curvature is applied.

Like using T-Splines. Can you model a bunch of squares together to make the output for a cool, curved surface shape after you apply smoothing? It would be difficult.

BTW: Viacad is working on the next version which should have the sub to nurbs in it! I'm not clear yet whether it will be a "shark only" tool, or if it will be in the pro version also....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Have you ever tried VSR Shape Modeling in Rhino? The plugin is pricey but has some great surfacing tools if you need that sort of thing.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5935.33 In reply to 5935.32 

EDITED: 9 Jun 2013 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hello,

Yes, that's it. I have been very impressed with the functionality for the cost. Unfortunately there aren't that many surfacing tools out there that are inexpensive.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-34