Cone angle
All  1-2  3-8

Previous
Next
5921.3 In reply to 5921.1 
Hi Danny,

> Is it possible to have an angle input for a cone?

Well, I don't think it's possible to have a cone specified by totally separate radius, height and also angle as well, those are interconnected values, and specifying a particular radius and height results in a certain angle and if you wanted to change that either the radius or the height would have to be altered.

So it's somewhat awkward to set up, I guess you'd need to be able to tell it which kind of value you wanted to specify, either height or angle. or is it that you want it specified by height and angle and have radius be the dependent one that's calculated from those?

Right now probably the easiest way to do it is to draw in a line of the angle you want and then revolve it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5921.4 In reply to 5921.3 
Hi Michael,

> or is it that you want it specified by height and angle
> and have radius be the dependent one that's calculated from those?

I was thinking more like there would be a height and angle input after the base diameter, then if I wanted a certain height I'd input into the height field the angle field would calculate accordingly or vise-versa.

If not possible that's okay I just input a trig sum to get the desired angle.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5921.5 In reply to 5921.4 
Hi Danny, having both height and angle showing at the same time with entry in one updating the other seems like it should work, I'll give it a try. It might be possible to do it all by only modifying the UI and script files.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5921.6 In reply to 5921.4 
Hi Danny, if you copy the 2 attached files over top of the original versions inside MoI's \commands sub-folder, that should then give you an updated Cone command that now includes an angle input along with the height input.

If you're just freely drawing the cone, both the height and the angle will update to show you the values for the current placed endpoint.

If you enter in either a height or an angle, the other value will get calculated and update, and then the shape of the cone will be set and you will then be able to pick the endpoint to give it a direction to go in.

The angle that is used is the "full angle" of the cone from one side of the cone all the way across to the other side of the cone, not the angle from the central axis line, does that make sense?

Please let me know if you run into any problem with it.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5921.7 In reply to 5921.6 
And one other note - if you're running the OSX version to find the place to copy the updated files, do a right-click on the .app file and choose "Show package contents", then inside of there go to drive_c/moi/commands - that's the spot to copy the new files.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Perfect! Thanks Michael.

-
~Danny~