MOI as an online service on the cloud ...

Next
Hello,

Any chance to see MOI as a webgl App on the web ? It will open new services for users .... and will allow new tools improvement on the go ...
I would like to have the point of view of Michael ... reading some articles on the new Tinkercad web site actually.

Pierre.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5919.2 In reply to 5919.1 
Bonjour Pierre, I don't really see moving MoI towards being a webgl app anytime soon... It's difficult to get the same level of performance and graphical detail using webgl as it is using regular desktop oriented programming. There are numerous areas of MoI that would probably have to be kind of simplified and degraded in order to do that.

It's also a much different kind of program structure - a cloud-based program needs to have pieces of it running on server farms which are a constant recurring cost and so it would need to be covered by a continuing subscription instead of a one-time fee. That's a much more complicated system overall than the way MoI currently works which is just that you buy it and run it on your own computer. I like keeping things simple myself...

> reading some articles on the new Tinkercad web site actually.

Well, Tinkercad is a good example of the kind of limited thing that results... it's sort of like just stacking blocks together. Compare the most advanced result that you can find with TinkerCAD versus the stuff in the MoI gallery: http://moi3d.com/gallery/

> and will allow new tools improvement on the go ...

This is actually a double edged sword - often times with cloud services you don't get any choice for whether you get an upgrade or not, you just get whatever the cloud vendor has decided to do and that might not be what you want. With desktop software you have the option to just keep using the old version if you want, you don't get that option with cloud based software.

It's not all quite as rosy and happy as what some articles might describe...

Anyway, the cloud based model works well for certain kinds of services particularly things like e-mail for example. But CAD requires a much heavier amount of processing and things that require more compute power require a much higher level of server resources and become less of a natural fit for server side computing.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
5919.3 In reply to 5919.2 
Thanks for your answer.
Pierre.