Cleaner fillet?

Next
It's starting to feel like my sole purpose on this forum is help from fillet problems, but it really is one of the hardest thing for the artist and a 3d program to get right. In this scene the fillet is working, just seems a little, well, err, off? This is more noticeable when I rendered it, using Cinema 4D's renderer. Is their a better way of doing this? I want it more, well, uniform, so when it renders, it does so cleanly. You could say, that's not even noticable far away, BUT, if the fillet radius was enlarged it would very well be, so I wish to learn from my mistakes, not make them persist. I'm very glad to say though, the only problem I've had with Moi is the fillet's and let's be honest, every 3d software seems to struggle with them. Help is appreciated as always! (:

EDITED: 22 May 2013 by SHAZBOT

Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 419 KB, Downloaded: 113 times, Dimensions: 1920x1200px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5908.2 In reply to 5908.1 
Hi Shazbot, looks like you don't like the corner patches that were created. There's not a whole lot you can do to control those, but one thing that might help somewhat is to scale up your objects so you're not creating fillets at a pretty small scale. It looks like you have fillets in here of radius 0.02 - you may get slightly better results if you avoid placing fillets much smaller than say 0.1 units in size, that may get some parts of things fit to a tighter tolerance. So for example in your case here try scaling up your object by 10 times in size so the fillets that you place are more like 0.2 units in radius rather than 0.02 units. I'm not completely certain that will solve your particular case here but it will probably help.

> BUT, if the fillet radius was enlarged it would very well be

If the fillet radius is enlarged then you may see somewhat different results, the corner patches will probably get more control points in them and that might avoid what you are running into here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5908.3 In reply to 5908.2 
Thanks, beveling is truly the one thing I really despise in 3D. Guess I'll have to grin and bear it like everyone then! (: Is all Nurb software the same like this?

EDITED: 22 May 2013 by SHAZBOT

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5908.4 In reply to 5908.3 
Hi Shazbot,

> Is all Nurb software the same like this?

Some of the more expensive software like SolidWorks tends to have more sophisticated fillets. You also might try ViaCAD, the geometry library it uses tends to have better fillets than MoI's current one.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5908.5 In reply to 5908.4 
Thanks Michael! Perhaps I'll use two Nurbs software in conjunction. (: By the way, as much as I see Moi used, it is done so extensively as an importer/exporter, perhaps you should make a standalone file handler and sell it? There would be good bucks in that and it would be very useful for many, of course it's more important to focus on Moi I think. (:
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5908.6 In reply to 5908.5 
Hi Shazbot, re: standalone file handler - it's a good idea but unfortunately it takes time to maintain multiple separate projects, and being just one person working on MoI tends to make for time being in short supply... So in order to keep things streamlined and to try and be efficient I really only want to focus on just one single product instead of multiple products.

Maybe someday in the future that would be more feasible though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All