What's a good way to cut grooves in surfaces?

Next
Like a battery compartment door that's basically a tiny groove in a rectangle shape on the main surface.

I tried an example I saw on this forum where you project lines on a sphere and then sweep the lines and boolean the two to create grooves. However when I try that on other surfaces I have created, the problem is that after cutting into the object you can see that there is no thickness on the surface so in this case the groove is just a rectangular hole in the surface.

I'm just wondering what methods are used to accomplish these grooves when using a hollow object or surface.

Thanks,
David
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5861.2 In reply to 5861.1 
Trim.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5861.3 In reply to 5861.1 
High David, if both objects are solids then boolean difference them, that's why you just have a hole and no thickness, you main object is not solid. If you are surface modelling, then trim is the answer, and then extrude the edges of the hole to the depth you require and then add a surface to the bottom edges to form the enclosure.

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5861.4 In reply to 5861.1 
Hi David, some previous discussion on different groove making techniques here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3859.2

But yes if you have a surface rather than a solid as your base object, then as others mention above you will probably need to use Trim to do the cutting up of pieces rather than booleans.

Booleans are more oriented towards working with solids and they figure out which pieces to keep and which pieces to discard depending on which volume the particular pieces are contained within.

If you're trying to cut an open surface rather than a solid the booleans won't really be able to use that same volume containment mechanism to do their work. So instead you can use Edit > Trim - trim cuts up the surfaces of objects and lets you manually pick which cut up pieces to discard or keep, it's usually what you would use when doing surface modeling rather than working with solids.

The booleans kind of work like a "high level" version of Trim + auto selecting pieces to discard + join at the end. Since they bundle up several steps of work they can be convenient but they are meant to work with solids. Sometimes it can be good to form your base object into a closed solid before doing further work on it so that you can more easily use these kind of "batch" operations that the booleans will do.

If you are still stuck could you please post the 3DM model file with your battery compartment door in it that you're trying to work with? It usually helps a lot to be able to see the actual model example that you are referring to rather than just a written description or just a screenshot.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All