remove internal parts?
All  1  2-7

Previous
Next
5856.2 In reply to 5856.1 
Hi Paulrus

Make a back-up copy of the step model - Open the model in MoI, select outside parts you need to render and hide them away. Select all internal parts you don't need and delete them. Unhide the parts hidden earlier and then save as *-edited.3dm and now export the parts to whatever file format you need to use for your renderer by either select the parts and exporting, or just use save as with nothing selected, your choice.

HTH

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5856.3 In reply to 5856.2 
That'd work, but this is a fairly complex model & deleting by hand would take a very long time.

I know I've seen software that had the ability to remove all internal parts (might have been Deep Exploration), so I was hoping MOI could do it too.

-Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5856.4 In reply to 5856.3 
It's only the parts that need rendering that need to be hand picked, after that ctrl-A works a treat :P

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yeah that's probably what I'll be doing.

It's a complex object, so sometimes it's hard to see if something is completely internal or if it's got a piece that is visible from a specific angle. So it'll be a lot of clicking, looking, clicking, looking, etc., etc.

-Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5856.6 In reply to 5856.5 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5856.7 In reply to 5856.1 
Hi Paul, there is no function for automatically removing internal parts. The closest thing is probably the select visible objects script that Marco links to above - when triggered that will select objects that have some pixels being displayed in any view. It will select all objects that could have possibly been targeted by a click right then. If you rotate around a bit in the 3D view and trigger that several times it should get all the outer objects selected.

Once you have all the outer objects selected, you can use File > Export to write just those selected objects out, or also do a Select > Invert and then delete the interior ones.

Also see here for some general tips on reducing memory load for mesh export:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5322.2

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-7