CAD loaders for Modo ... worth it?
All  1-7  8-9

Previous
Next
OK, I'll look into it. I wish it had an easy scaling field like you have for OBJ. I work in Game Units in Modo so I need to set the OBJ exporter to export at 0.01 scale ... but for LWO I need to take some time to figure out which option will work. Meters, feet, inches, or whatever.

BTW, I used MoI to make my first real piece for a mesh I was working on at work today (a lock for a chest). So, I'm in! This thing is great... :) It would have taken at least 5 times as long to generate that mesh via subd techniques.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
5848.9 In reply to 5848.8 
Hi Warren, yeah for the right project there can be a huge difference in speed. Particularly anything that has holes drilled into it can be really quite painful in subd but a snap in NURBS.

You should get a feel pretty quickly for which types of models will work the best... it's usually things that have a lot of their shape driven by 2D profile curves that are the best fit. A lot of man made objects fall into this area.

For organic shapes or things that have little localized folds and small bumpy details and things like that (like creature bodies or faces or things like that), then those are where you want to stick with sub-d.

I'll see about adding in a specific scaling factor for export to LWO as well.

- Michael

EDITED: 22 Apr 2013 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-7  8-9