scene browser Objects

Next
Is it possible to remove items from an object name once it is created?

I have sword that I wanted to divide up into 4 different objects: blade, guard, handle, and pommel. When I made the guard object the other items were hidden, but apparently selected. Now when I select with guard it selects everything.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5847.2 In reply to 5847.1 
Hi Bill - it's possible to do that by removing the object's name and setting it to blank.

Select the objects that you want to have removed, then click on the name line in the properties panel here:

The "Edit object name" dialog box will pop up - push delete to remove the text and push OK or press Enter and that will erase the name on those objects and they will no longer belong to that slot in the Objects section of the scene browser.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5847.3 In reply to 5847.2 
Thanks Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5847.4 In reply to 5847.2 
Hi Michael,
Something strange happening. I delete the layer named guard as you outlined, but when I save the project and open it again the object named guard is still there with the same associated elements.
Bill
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5847.5 In reply to 5847.4 
Hi Bill, hmmm yeah that is kind of odd, looks like some kind of bug. There is a mechanism in MoI that tries to store various object attributes that Rhino puts on objects which MoI does not deal with and then tries to restore those when writing out the 3DM file, I think the name is coming back because of that mechanism.

If you do any kind of edit of the geometry (like separate one face out and join it back in again), it ought to break the link to those "round trip" attributes, they are only restored if the object geometry has not changed. Then if you remove the name after any kind of geometry edit it should not come back.

I'll fix up this bug for the next v3 beta so that editing the object name will throw out that "round trip" data so that it will work as originally expected.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5847.6 In reply to 5847.5 
Cool! thanks Michael
  Reply Reply More Options