advice on pipe creation

Next
Just started use of Moi3d ( on OSX) so feeling my way round a bit. I'm trying to create some pipe elements as here..

What would the best/simplest workflow to achieve the various ridges etc. I thought using the sweep tool and creating a rail that included the ridges would do the trick, but I ended up with an asymmetric result. maybe creating the basic pipe shape and then adding the ridges using booleans would be easiest? I also tried to to add thickness to the surface but failed dismally. Any tips gratefully received.

cheers Colin
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5832.2 In reply to 5832.1 
Hi Colin, well first of all be careful following that blueprint since it looks to have incorrect labeling in it - it looks like the entire bend is 45 degrees and the angle in the drawing that says 45 degrees is actually 22.5 degrees.

I'd probably focus initially on getting the base shape created, for that you can draw a polyline and a circle and do a sweep like this, you can place the circle off to the side away from the path to use "auto place" mode where it automatically moves it to the start of the path:

To hollow it out you can either select the ends and use Construct > Offset > Shell or you could also do a second sweep with the smaller diameter circle and use boolean difference to cut the large one with the smaller one.

Then I guess you want to draw some little collar pieces at the junctures - you can do additional sweeps for those, draw in a rectangle and rotate it by 11.25 degrees (so it's half of the line angle), and then move it to be centered right at this spot here:

And then sweep it around this edge to build a collar shape there:

If it's something more like a very small fold in the metal it might be possible that you would want to do that as more of a texture map rather than trying to directly model the little folds and bumps.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5832.3 In reply to 5832.2 
Thanks Michael for your comprehensive reply, I guess I was trying to do too much all in one go, small steps are the way forward.

cheers

Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5832.4 In reply to 5832.3 
No problem Colin! And yes, often times with NURBS modeling you want to focus more on one simplified component at a time rather than trying to do everything all in just one go of a single creation function.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5832.5 In reply to 5832.4 
Pipe command will help too.

http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#Pipe