can't create direct3D device
All  1  2-4

Previous
Next
583.2 In reply to 583.1 
Hi Fredo, there are a couple of different things that can cause this.

Do you know what video card you have on your machine? You can find it under Start / Control Panel / Display / Settings tab, it will tell it after the Display: label.

If you can tell me what card you have I could give you some more information, if you have an older card, it is possible that it might not support the 3D mechanisms that MoI needs to run.

Another thing that has caused that problem in the past is an install problem of your video driver or of DirectX. You may be able to solve this problem by installing the newest version of your video driver. There is also a diagnostic test that you can do, to do that go to Start / Run and type in dxdiag.exe. This will run the "DirectX Diagnostic Tool", if you go to the Display tab, there is a button there "Test Direct3D", if there is any error in running that diagnostic test, then that would indicate some kind of driver or Direct3D install problem.

If you let me know your video card type and the results of running the diagnostic test, I can try to narrow it down from there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
583.3 In reply to 583.2 
I had this problem too, but reset my display adapter to 32 bit (it was on 16) and that got rid of the error message. However, the active part of each view is a tiny rectangle around the view title (front, top, etc). In the rest of the space, nothing happens when I try to draw something. I have a Rage 128 card, and it tests ok for direct 3d. Ideas?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
583.4 In reply to 583.3 
Hi Ken, that card is about 9 years old, which by 3d graphics standards makes it an antique artifact from the ancient past...

To run MoI well you'll need a graphics card more in the "only 5 year old" or so range. It doesn't actually need to be too fancy, like a brand new one in the $40 range will actually work quite well.

I have a Rage 128 "Pro" card on one machine over here, which does run MoI but it is quite slow. MoI expects for the card to be able to render polygons quickly and these much older cards just do not work fast enough.

Your particular card might be older than my Rage 128 Pro here - probably you have 16 Megabyte card which is just not enough video memory to run MoI.

You'll need to upgrade your machine to a newer video card in order to run it, sorry.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-4