Issue with imported Rhino project...
All  1-2  3-7

Previous
Next
5824.3 In reply to 5824.2 
Thanks, Michael.
There are several reason why I must move everything from "styles" to "objects" in MOI:
First, just the workflow itself, in MOI. I always need to change the titles of the objects in the CAD, and if I do so with styles, it's multiple extra steps, versus one step in the object browser window.
Two, and even more crucially. When I finally get the prepped CAD model into Cinema 4D, if I only use the styles layers, then I get stuck with a useless single object and tons of selection tags. But if those same layers are distributed in the "object" browser inside MOI, then the resultant imported file in C4D is properly composed of all the discrete elements, and names, as they were in MOI.

So, simply no comparison.

Do you know whether there might be a universal function to send the layer names, in Rhino, to the object properties tabs? I was just looking at Rhino, and I see what I think you're referring to, but it would take just as long to fix the problem there, as in MOI.

Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5824.4 In reply to 5824.3 
Hi sneather,

> Do you know whether there might be a universal function to send the
> layer names, in Rhino, to the object properties tabs?

There is no built in command that I know of that would do that in Rhino, but I'm certain that a script could be created to do that.

You can also use a script in MoI to assign objects the same object name as their style:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#SetObjectNameAsStyleName

Paste that script as the command part of a shortcut key and then when you hit the shortcut key all objects will be modified to have their object name to be the same as their style name.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5824.5 In reply to 5824.4 
Thank you. I'm finding that the scripts for MOI are quite invaluable!
And once again, thank you for your incredible support! I don't know if enough people say so enough. But cheers for that!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5824.6 In reply to 5824.3 
Hi sneather, also re:

> Two, and even more crucially. When I finally get the prepped CAD model into
> Cinema 4D, if I only use the styles layers, then I get stuck with a useless single
> object and tons of selection tags.

This is something that you may want to request to Maxon to updated in their OBJ importer, it seems like their importer decides to combine things together like that. If that combining causes problems for you, then it would be helpful if they had an option to not do that combining and make separate objects for each object listed in the OBJ file.

The combining of same named objects into one single object is also controlled from a setting in MoI under Options > Import/Export > "Combine same named objects" (checkbox at the top). But it seems that even when this is turned off in MoI so that MoI writes separate objects they get combined together anyway at import time in C4D, in order for that to get fixed it needs to be addressed in the importer.

Have you also tried the "Riptide" OBJ importer to see if that behaves differently or has different combining options you can set?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5824.7 In reply to 5824.6 
I used to use Riptide a while back. But I haven't found as much need to buy Pro (which I would need with my newer versions of C4D) now that I'm using MOI as the intermediary, to prep the client's STEP files, and export the .OBJ files. Granted, this current situation with the weird Rhino files is making me reconsider getting Riptide Pro.

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-7