Is there a way to "convert selections"?

Next
In my production pipeline, I often have to spend a great deal of time fine-tuning the CAD I get from my clients, before I export for animation in C4D.
One thing which is really frustrating, is the edge / surface selection process. For instance, if I want to select the edges of a large amount of engraved text, in a product. If I were in Cinema, I would simply select the surrounding surface, then tell the program to outline that selection or select just the paths. Mere seconds. But with MOI, I have yet to find any way to do something similar.

Are there any tricks or hidden quick keys for something like this?

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5813.2 In reply to 5813.1 
Use the Browser with name, type, Style, color... ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5813.3 In reply to 5813.1 
There are several edge scripts on Petr's website, under MoI help button...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5813.4 In reply to 5813.2 
Thank you. But the solution I'm looking for would allow me to select a face then immediately convert that selection to just the "edges" of that face. So that I could (for instance) add fillets.
The "Types" tab in the Browser seems to only work globally. It doesn't actively change the selection type, of an already selected surface/curve/face etc. Again, I'm referencing the selection options in Cinema 4D.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5813.5 In reply to 5813.4 
Hi sneather, on Petr's script collection page that bemfarmer mentions above, there is a script that will convert a face selection into an edge selection of all its surrounding edges.

It's this one here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#SwitchSelectionFromFaceToEdges

Set up that script on a shortcut key (paste the whole script in as the "command" part of the shortcut key) and then when you trigger that key you should get the selection behavior that you are asking about.

But one note - you mentioned doing this so that you could add fillets as one example, but fillets actually understand a face selection already - if you have faces selected and then do a fillet all the edges belonging to those faces will be targeted for filleting. So if you want to do filleting there is no need to do this selection switching as another extra step, just run fillet directly after you have done your face selection.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5813.6 In reply to 5813.5 
Thank you. And yes, I do know that I can fillet based on face selections, too.
However, being that adding fillets (in any program) is an imperfect science, to say the least, I have found that sometimes I need to be extremely creative with my selection process, and order of chamfering. It all depends on just how complex the product CAD is.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All