Shelling of extruded circle...

Next
Michael-

Here is a little thing that I noticed in both versions of the v3 beta. If I extrude a circle and apply a taper to it, it will not shell. I was working on a quick project and was making a circular base for a cavity. I extruded a circle with a 5 degree taper and could not get it to shell. With no taper, it shells fine. There are many ways to get around this, so it's not a big deal, I just thought it was really odd. It seemed like such a simple operation on a very simple object. I exported a STEP file and tried shelling the same object (in Inventor Fusion) and it shelled ok there. I didn't go back to version 2 to try to extrude using the taper formula, so I don't know if that would have worked. My guess is it's one of three things: 1- A bug, 2- There is a good reason why it doesn't work (and I just don't know what it is) or 3- It's operator error, which is always a possibility. The images and file are just a little test, showing what I couldn't shell.

Michael Cramblet
Packaging Design
Phone: 616-574-6271

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Confirmed here too.
There's also a problem if you delete one of the circular end-caps and then try to shell it from just the surfaces.
It seems that the inner band gets incorrectly formed into a kind of pinched end-cap.

All appears to work OK in v2.

Martin(2).

EDITED: 27 Mar 2013 by BLOWLAMP

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5797.3 In reply to 5797.1 
Hi Michael, that definitely looks like a bug - it looks like probably a bug in dealing with the trimming boundaries when doing the offset portion of the shell. Unfortunately there are quite a lot of bugs in shelling, I've been asking the people who make the geometry library that MoI uses to improve the solid offset function for quite a while now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All