Not Solid, just a "Joined Surface
All  1-6  7-11

Previous
Next
5786.7 In reply to 5786.6 
Hi Bill,

> However, if I try to export to STEP, it still separates the
> surfaces individually.

Have you tried importing the STEP file into a different program? If you're exporting to STEP using MoI and then importing back into MoI also, it's difficult to know whether the separation is happening at export time or at import time.

> If I have an MOI file that shows as a solid, is it going to show
> me the problems that are causing the export to STEP to fail?

No, there isn't anything built into the STEP exporter that would give back specific information like that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Taking the way to perfection, thats how every piece of software should be. Great work there!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5786.9 In reply to 5786.7 
Has anyone tried the 3dm import function from Rhino to Solidworks on MOI 3dm files? Is this an option, because this is what I am trying to achieve by exporting to STEP.

Incidentally, Michael, the problem must be on export because the SolidWorks guy is opening the STEP files and getting individual surfaces.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5786.10 In reply to 5786.9 
"""""""""""the problem must be on export because the SolidWorks guy is opening the STEP files and getting individual surfaces."""""""""""

If you have a "solid" in MoI and export the STEP file, what happens if you just import the STEP file "back into MoI" right after export?

If you export "IGES (surfaces)" then import to solidworks and attempt to Join, solidworks will have many options to show you problem areas. Or, you can attach your file here so it can be looked at. If it's proprietary or something, a private email to Michael can help to handle that.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5786.11 In reply to 5786.9 
Hi Bill,

> Has anyone tried the 3dm import function from Rhino to Solidworks
> on MOI 3dm files? Is this an option, because this is what I am trying
> to achieve by exporting to STEP.

Yeah, that's definitely worth trying - I'd recommend trying all of STEP, 3DM and IGES as well to see if one of those works better for your particular case.

Also it's very normal for IGES files to contain individual surfaces in them so most likely SolidWorks will go through a joining process itself if you use that format to transfer stuff over.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-11