MOI Crash

Next
hi.

until today moi ran just fine. i installed the 3.0 beta and experienced a crash, which i thought was because of the beta version, but when trying the same action in the 2.0 version the same happend. after uninstalling both moi versions and reinstalling moi 2.0 it still freezes when i do the following:
- create a helix
- duplicate the helix (with copy command or copy paste)
- moving to the view where the helix shows as circle (e.g. if helix axis is Z it is the top view)
- trying to scale that helix either by dragging the bounding box handle or using 2D scale command
FREEZE
the latter even freezes when 2d scale is active and the cursor enters the top view.
now i cannot build screws anymore.

cheers
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5784.2 In reply to 5784.1 
Hi Bo, it's because of projected intersection snap - something like the top view of a helix when projected to 2D becomes a highly self intersecting curve and then the intersection calculation on that for getting an object snap spot can take a while to finish. MoI is most likely not crashed, just super busy crunching away generating a huge number of intersections.

Try going to Options > Snaps > Object snap options > "Use apparent intersections" checkbox - uncheck that and likely your problem will go away.

I have it on my todo list to try and make it possible for the projected intersection calculation to automatically give up if it is starting to take too long.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5784.3 In reply to 5784.2 
thanks a lot for the quick response. this fixed the problem. what bugs me is how i worked this way all the time and what happened that changed it. maybe the beta version changed something or i missed something i did.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5784.4 In reply to 5784.3 
Hi Bo, well it's only an issue when you go over a particular 2D view where you're looking kind of end-on at the helix. And you also have to be in a drawing command where you're trying to pick a point with object snap active. Also it gets a lot worse if you have a helix with a whole lot of turns in it too. Previously you must not have just had quite this same combination of things.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't anything different in this particular area in the beta.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All