Why does the chamfer aren't present in a N-gons export (.obj)

Next
Hello,
I'm a beginner in MoI use and I am trying the Beta version of this product.
I am looking for a soft like MoI or Rhino which can help me to make an interface between the R&D (inventor) and me who use Cinema 4D for animation and rendering.

Today I have open an igs model in MoI, create chamfer on different edges of my model and I have made an export .obj with N-gons option but i can't see in the wireframe view the chamfer I'have made before.

Could you explain me the reason ?

Thank you in advance
Jolo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5776.2 In reply to 5776.1 
Hi Jolo!

Could you post the original file? And if that's not possible, maybe a screenshot or something. It's quite hard to tell without any information.

~ Marco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5776.3 In reply to 5776.2 
Here is the .igs file and the .obj

This model is not very complex and I could redraw it in cienma 4D but anyway i am use to import model more complicated and in these case the Moi soft could be useful.

I have another question. With the Moi export in .obj i never get the good rendering withe a radial texture like in the original manufacture product.

The texture seems alway in bad orientation.

May be i am not very professional user but I never can have the good texture finish.

You can find the result (attachement) with the model redrawn in cinema 4D.

Many thanks

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5776.4 In reply to 5776.3 
Hi - first an answer to this other question:

> I have another question. With the Moi export in .obj i never get the good
> rendering withe a radial texture like in the original manufacture product.
>
> The texture seems alway in bad orientation.

Probably the radial texture uses the UV coordinates that are set up on the mesh. Although MoI does export UV texture coordinates they're really basic and you need to create your own UV mapping instead. There is probably some kind of "UV unwrap" method built into Cinema4D that will do that for you. I do want to generate better UV coordinates directly from MoI in the future but it hasn't been a priority so far because poly modeling programs all have their own UV generation mechanisms already.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5776.5 In reply to 5776.3 
Hi - is the chamfers that you're talking about the ones highlighted in yellow shown here? :

If so then you're not seeing those in your render you show there because they're on the opposite side of the object from that point of view. Spin your camera around to the other side of the object to see them.

Let me know if that wasn't it.

Thanks, - Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5776.6 In reply to 5776.5 
No, the chamfer I was looking for are on the opposite side

But. As i have said, the chamfers were visible on the wireframe view but not highlighted as yours.

Forgive me, I didn't take time today to see this problem.

Perhaps tomorrow

Anyway, many thanks for your help.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5776.7 In reply to 5776.6 
> But. As i have said, the chamfers were visible on
> the wireframe view but not highlighted as yours.

Sometimes chamfers are difficult to see distinctly in shaded views when there is only a single light source. If that's the case try using a broader set of lights or maybe an environment map type lighting.

If you're still having problems can you show a screenshot that shows the problem? The screenshot that you showed previously was from the opposite side of the object from where the chamfers are at, so that was totally normal in that case that you would see them only in a wireframe view where you're seeing all the way through the object.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5776.8 In reply to 5776.6 
Or did you maybe try to do the export before actually finishing the chamfers? Some commands like Chamfer or Fillet have a final stage in the command where you need to push "Done" or right-click in a viewport to finalize the command.

If you tried to export before actually finishing the command the chamfer will get canceled.

When I load your IGES file here I only see the chamfers on one side of the object as I showed highlighted in that previous screenshot, the opposite side of your IGES file looks exactly like your render screenshot, like this - no chamfers present on that other side:

So as far as I can tell the render that you showed looks the same as this, sorry if I am not understanding what you are getting at...

Maybe you thought you did a chamfer but did not finish the command ?

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All