V3 beta Mar-17-2013 available now
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-71

Previous
Next
5774.41 In reply to 5774.38 
Hi Danny,

> you have Hidden Edge options in two separate places
> where I think they should be together.

Well, the 2 checkboxes are together in options.

It's not particularly a goal to take every single thing in Options and put it into the side pane as well - it's better to only have things that are used more frequently in the side pane, and things that are more one time configuration options are intentionally only listed in the Options dialog and not in the side pane to prevent clutter and bloating of frequently accessed UI.

This new setting is something that I think is likely to be used as a configuration option, meaning something that you'll set one time as a preference for how hidden lines should function. Turning the hidden line display on or off is not like that, it's something that you may need to do many times just in the course of regular modeling. It's things like that which are good candidates for putting in the side pane.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ok, well I haven't managed to get the release notes set up for multitouch or nsided yet and I'm traveling for much of the day tomorrow so it may be a couple more days yet before those parts of the note are actually all finished.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.43 In reply to 5774.40 
Perfect it works !

Thanks a lot :)
--
shapenoid.com stojan-voumard.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Where is the Mar 18 download? I've downloaded the Mar 17 a few days ago, but I don't know if there is a later one or not.

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.45 In reply to 5774.44 
<< Where is the Mar 18 download?

I believe that here is the latest version ;)
http://moi3d.com/download.htm (last line)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.46 In reply to 5774.45 
Thanks Pilou!

Michael T.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.47 In reply to 5774.44 
Hi Michael T - oops that's a typo in the title of this thread, the Mar-17 one is the actual current one. I'll update the title.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.48 In reply to 5774.47 
Thanks Michael G.

Hope you have a good weekend, and thanks again for a great tool!

Michael T.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The new Mar-17 beta is not working properly on OSX 10.6 - if you're running 10.6 "Snow Leopard", there are some stability problems there with the new multi-touch handling stuff. You'll need to disable the multi-touch functionality in MoI by deleting one particular file to avoid sporadic crashes.

To do that, make sure MoI is not running, and then right-click on the app and choose “Show package contents”, then inside there go into drive_c/moi and there will be a file there named moi_touch.dylib – delete this file and that will then disable the new multi-touch event handling which does not seem to get along properly with 10.6 .

For the next beta I’ve automatically disabled the multi-touch handling when running on 10.6 .

This only applies to OSX version 10.6 Snow Leopard specifically, 10.7 and 10.8 are not affected.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Finally got some notes gathered up for the new multitouch view navigation stuff:

Multitouch view navigation - use multitouch gestures (pinch or drag fingers) to do zoom/pan/rotate view manipulations. This works on Mac OSX 10.7 or 10.8 using a trackpad or on Windows 8 using a touch screen. There's a demo video here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5731.1

The supported gestures are:

Pan by 2 fingers dragging left/right/up/down

Zoom by pinching index finger and thumb together or apart.

Rotate left/right/up/down in the 3D view by dragging 3 fingers.

2 finger double tap for view reset (zoom to selected objects or zoom to all if done a second time).

Twist thumb and index fingers for 2D ortho view spin or 3D view tilt if those are enabled under settings.

Zooming in and out with multitouch can be easier to control in the 3D view if you have a parallel view projection rather than perspective. You can set a parallel projection under Options > View > "3D view projection". To set the default projection on startup, save a 3DM file with a parallel projection set and then put that 3DM file as the startup template under Options > General > Template file.

On OSX, 3 finger dragging for rotation in the 3D view will not work if any 3 finger swiping is already being used for OSX system functions. Check under System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures. If "Swipe between full-screen apps" or "Mission Control" are set to use 3 finger swiping, change them to use 4 finger swiping instead, then MoI will be able to receive the 3 finger dragging events.

There are some options available for changing multitouch behavior under Options > Rotate/Pan/Zoom options > MultiTouch options (in lower-right area):

Reverse rotation checkbox - when enabled the 3D view rotation directions will be reversed.

Rotate ortho views checkbox - when enabled thumb/index spin will spin the 2D ortho (top/front/right) views.

Swap 3D rotate and pan checkbox - when enabled 2 finger dragging in the 3D view will do rotation and 3 fingers will do panning instead.

Allow 3D rotation tilt - when enabled thumb/index spin will tilt the 3D view left or right.

Rotation speed, Pan speed, and Zoom speed - a scale factor can be entered in here to adjust the speed of these movements, for example putting in 0.5 will make that operation half speed, putting in 2 will double the speed.

There are also a few additional settings available in moi.ini under the [MultiTouch] section:

[MultiTouch]
SingleFingerRotation=n
TiltSpeed=1.0
TiltCenterMode=0

SingleFingerRotation can be set to =y on Windows to make just one finger dragging do 3D view rotation instead of 3 finger dragging. This will prevent things like window selection from happening with touch so you should probably only try this if you also have a mouse or pen to use for selection.

TiltSpeed can be set to a scale factor to speed up or slow down thumb/index finger spin action in 3D views.

TiltCenterMode can be set to 0, 1, or 2 and controls how the center point works for 3D view tilting.
   With TiltCenterMode = 0 the current centroid of the touch points is used for the tilt center. With this one the tilt center moves right along with your fingers.
   With TiltCenterMode = 1 it will use the centroid between the 2 fingers just at the initial start of the 2 finger gesture, it won't update as you move your finger around, only when you start a new gesture.
   With TiltCenterMode = 2 it will use the center of the viewport as the tilt center, it won’t make any difference where on the screen you are at as far as tilting goes.

Thanks to William Knop for implementing OSX touch event handling code, and Isaiah Coberly for testing the Windows version.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.51 In reply to 5774.50 
Does this yet exist in the link beta http://moi3d.com/beta.htm
or will be in the next release ?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.52 In reply to 5774.51 
Hi Pilou, the multitouch stuff listed above is all in the current Mar-17 beta already, I just had not collected up the notes for it until now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Great work on everything so far Michael. I will soon post some of my real life design/manufacturing examples in the aerospace sector and how MOI V3 has been instrumental in that work.

Is it reasonable to assume that the continuity options are next in line for the next beta?
Can't wait for those options/tools....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.54 In reply to 5774.53 
Hi niko,

> Is it reasonable to assume that the continuity options are next in line for the next beta?

Right now I don't fully understand where they will go in the UI, things like that are usually not quite "next in line"...

One of the main ways that I keep the UI streamlined and easy to use is that I prioritize things that fit into the existing UI without needing to add a lot more entry points, I have a few things along those lines that I am working on currently.

-Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael
I have just downloaded the latest V3 beta
Which files do I copy from the previous beta to the the new one ?

Do I copy all from the commands folder , but not replace files already in the destination folder?.

As I have a lot of additional scripts and commands I have added from the forum. (like ringcircle )
thanks
shayne
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.56 In reply to 5774.55 
Hi shayne,

> Do I copy all from the commands folder , but not replace files already in the destination folder?.

Yes, that should work - all the things you need to copy over are the files you added into the commands folder - just copy them all and say no to overwriting any already existing ones and that should work fine.

Shortcut key definitions don't need to be brought over, those are stored in moi.ini and the new release will use the same moi.ini file as the previous beta. So it's just files added into the commands folder that need to be copied over.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.57 In reply to 5774.56 
Thanks works perfectly
My portable copy on a USB stick do I need to copy the current moi.ini and the template file I use into there also, where is the best place to put them, in the moi folder ?

Will it find the moi.ini (I know I have to point to the template from options)

thanks
shayne
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.58 In reply to 5774.57 
Hi shayne, yes for the one on the USB stick copy moi.ini into the same folder as MoI.exe, it will look for it there first and use it if it finds it there.

The template file is a bit trickier, it wants to have a full path to that so you can put it on the USB stick but you'd then put in the drive letter of the USB drive (which may change though on different machines) as the path to the template file. It may possibly work if you leave off the path and that should theroetically look in the current directory at start up time which probably will be the same location as MoI.exe so that should work.

I'll tune up the template file loading so that if the template file is not found at the specific given path to try and look for a file of that same name alongside moi.exe too.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.59 In reply to 5774.58 
Thanks Michael
I had wondered about the template although my laptop assigns the USB drive to F also.
Thanks for the changes and enjoying the new beta's
The Nside patch is brilliant
shayne
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5774.60 In reply to 5774.59 
Hi Michael,
In the past you have provided a ScriptCopier to import script to a new beta. That is not needed anymore?
Thanks,
Gaston
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-71