simultaneous X and PERP snap line to curve?
 1-4  5-24  25-27

Previous
Next
5767.5 In reply to 5767.4 
Just make a wheel zoom! And move your zoomed circle to the top screen before make anything! ;)

Or Make a first general perpendicular Help line, then zoom then draw your 62.2 Line whished

EDITED: 14 Mar 2013 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.6 In reply to 5767.5 
the megazooom! I think here must be Perp mark. 62.62 i find on center of the circle :) How i can make it without center?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.7 In reply to 5767.4 
Hi brash, thanks for posting the pictures!

Unfortunately I'm still very uncertain what in particular you're looking for....

You seem to be creating a y-direction construction line but at some arbitrary location, is that correct? Then you are interested in finding the distance from that construction line to the center of the circle? This is one part that is confusing me, why are you looking for that distance when you do not seem to have placed the initial construction line at any key location itself?

Also I don't understand what kind of center point distance you want to target on a "curve without center" - if the curve lacks a center point which point do you wish to measure then, how can a center point be targeted when there is no center point?

Is it that you are trying to measure a particular distance?

If you are having a problem with measuring the distance on a curve that is not a circle could you maybe show a screenshot of that problematic curve with the distance you are trying to measure labeled on it?

Sorry but I am still not at all clear about what you are looking for yet...

If you are looking to measure a distance from a vertical line through the circle's center point then maybe you want to be creating 2 construction lines - one vertical one going through the center point and then drop a second one from your point of interest onto that vertical line...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.8 In reply to 5767.6 
Sorry I had not precised!

Not this Zoom In ! :)
The Inverse Zoom Out ! Mousewheel in the other side!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.9 In reply to 5767.4 
Hi brash, one of your screenshots shows this:

But that is expected that you will not find a "perp" snap in that spot - perp snap in that case of relocating a construction line will find this perpendicular here from the previous point going towards the curve:

Are you possibly trying to locate areas on a curve where the curve tangents are aligned to the x or y axis directions?

If so then check out this recent post about doing that:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5758.1

The single "Perp snap" will not give you the point you are looking for there - but there are other methods you can use to get it, either select the curve and use the BoundingBox command (set up either a keyboard shortcut for it or hit the tab key and type in BoundingBox and push enter) to generate a bounding frame which will then have intersection points at the spots you want, or set up parallel lines or construction lines and use perp/perp (note - the double perp on both sides, not just single perp snap) as shown here in blue:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3042.14
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3042.13

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.10 In reply to 5767.1 
Here's an example of finding a point on a squiggly curve that will be going perpendicular to the y axis direction using perp/perp snap:

To do it with this method, first put in a line or construction line going in x-axis direction. Then place the first point of the line somewhere in the general area where the perpendicular point is at, then when you place the second point onto the x-axis line, move your mouse around until you find the perp/perp point, it will usually be a slight distance to one side of the single perp snap. Once that is located you will see a "Perp/Perp" label shown on both the first and the current point of the line (not just only on the current point like regular "perp" object snap) - this is a special snap that not only modifies the current point but also modifies the previous point as well, that's why the labels are shown on both the base and the target point for this one. Because it modifies the previous pick and not just only the current point it's only enabled for some particular commands that are like line drawing, like the line, polyline commands and when drawing (not relocating) construction lines too, but since you can generate construction lines in any drawing command you can use them to get it when needed in other commands.

The other way is if you use the BoundingBox command you will get a frame around the curve and it should then have intersection snap points at these locations as well.

In the future I'd like to add some way to make individual snap points show up at these locations, but it takes some calculation to figure these out on squiggly curves and it's not always so good to have too many snap points all going at the same time since it can get in the way of more freely placing points. So maybe it would be something that you would go into an extended properties dialog to turn on or off those snap points on a particular curve maybe. But in the meantime one of these other methods can get you those particular points as well.

I hope that I didn't misunderstand what you are looking for...

- Michael

EDITED: 14 Mar 2013 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.11 In reply to 5767.9 
sorry my english is not native.
I need find perpendicular to curve and parallel to straight. both points are very closly but I need accuracy.)))

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
You have an infinity of Y Perp along this curve!

Choose first the point you want on the curve!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.13 In reply to 5767.11 
Hi brash,

> I need find perpendicular to curve and parallel to straight. both points
> are very closly but I need accuracy.)))

You may not have seen my above posts since you were probably writing a reply at the same time I was posting them.

Check up above for how "perp/perp" snap works - I think that's what you want. Place a line or construction line along the x-axis direction below your curve. Then you will be able to draw a line or construction line and engage "perp/perp" snap to find a point on the curve where the curve perpendicular matches the perpendicular to the x-axis direction. That will be a line at a point on the curve where the curve perpendicular and y-axis direction are the same.

There is a video screencap and more explanation in the above posts.

Or also if you use the BoundingBox command to generate a frame around the curve you will then have some intersections at the points you want as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yes, I need this! perp/perp snap to both sides. I move parallele but must perpendicular))))
Thanks so much!

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.15 In reply to 5767.14 
No problem brash, I'm glad that does what you need! Sorry I did not understand what you were asking about at first.

Also, when using perp/perp snap the initial point on the first curve must be somewhere in the general area (like with 50 pixels or something like that) of where the actual final point will be at. That helps to avoid it being triggered accidentally all the time, basically it only triggers if there was a shared perpendicular line in the screen area nearby both the first and the second pick.

If you have placed the first point very close to where the final perp/perp snap will be, you will usually find the activating point on the second pick to be just slightly to one side or the other of the "single perp" snap. You will know when you have activated perp/perp since you will see the label switch to "perp/perp" and it will also show on both points to indicate that both the first point and the second point are being modified by this particular snap.

The "single perp" object snap is different since it snaps the current point only, finding the perpendicular line coming directly from the base point. Perp/perp only uses your picked points as guides for where to look on the curve and the actual perp/perp snap locations come from a calculation that finds a shared perpendicular line between the curves.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.16 In reply to 5767.15 
Thanks again, Michael!

Pls note my logic as simple man as I showed in first pics ;) To draw helper line in need direction and relocate it to find perp to the helper line on curve. maybe possible add this function "perp locator"?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.17 In reply to 5767.16 
Hi brash,

> maybe possible add this function "perp locator"?

Maybe, but I'm not sure how it would work for just regular picks which in general only have a "previous point" defined for finding perpendiculars. Do you mean it would be added only specifically to the construction line relocation only? That's getting pretty highly specialized, and it might be tricky to give a good label to actually show what was happening there, I can't really just say "perp" because the regular "perp" snap does something different than that (using the direction from the previous point).

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.18 In reply to 5767.17 
I would solve his particular workflow desire with "Keep C-lines"....

On that note, Michael, has anything changed enough about what Paul's custom "construction Line" command does that it could be altered to include the c-line edit option on the kept lines?

So rememeber that the initial inaccessibility to the kept c-lines (or maybe the visual that they have been "activated or picked") yet still "transformed with the regular tools" (They do actually get picked like objects. with a name and a style). Maybe that can now be added to it?

Thanks

EDITED: 14 Mar 2013 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.19 In reply to 5767.18 
Hi Burr,

> I would solve his particular workflow desire with "Keep C-lines"....

But he's looking to find a location on a curve where the curve perpendicular matches a particular cline direction - that would be a new kind of snapping function (but one that can currently be done by perp/perp snap instead), just keeping clines doesn't give that.

> On that note, Michael, has anything changed enough about what Paul's custom
> "construction Line" command does that it could be altered to include the c-line
> edit option on the kept lines?

No, not currently - right now it is built into that little pop up menu that it is implicitly editing (by things like reorient or relocate) the last created cline.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.20 In reply to 5767.19 
I was editing my post while you were posting back.....

""""""""""But he's looking to find a location on a curve where the curve perpendicular matches a particular cline direction - that would be a new kind of snapping function (but one that can currently be done by perp/perp snap instead), just keeping clines doesn't give that.""""""""""""

Yeah, I saw that and was thinking of the perp/perp, but he seems to be wanting to do it kindof "backwards', and I thought that the keep c-lines would let him do it. It's kindof the same as drawing an actual "line first", then having that to work with.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.21 In reply to 5767.20 
This is what I think he's trying to do.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.22 In reply to 5767.21 
Hi Burr, I don't think that's quite it - from what I could tell he's looking for something like "draw a cline", then move that cline onto a curve snapping it to the particular point on the curve where the curve perpendicular has the same direction as that cline.

You can currently get that "point on the curve that has a specific perpendicular" by doing perp/perp snap currently like this:

He was originally trying to get that same point shown here with perp/perp snap by drawing in a y-axis direction construction line rather than an x-axis direction construction line like you see in the screencap here.

This problem of "find the point on a curve that has a specific perpendicular direction" cannot be solved by just doing a rotation of a construction line - it involves some kind of snap function that will seek through the curve finding the right spot on the curve that has the curve tangent or curve perpendicular going in that particular direction.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5767.23 In reply to 5767.22 
""""""""""find the point on a curve that has a specific perpendicular direction" cannot be solved by just doing a rotation of a construction line - it involves some kind of snap function that will seek through the curve finding the right spot on the curve that has the curve tangent or curve perpendicular going in that particular direction.""""""""""

Yes, the rotation was just an example of using the kept cline as an object. It seemed the question was "moving an existing cline from somewhere else" perp to perp on a curve somewhere else, which can be solved by the keep c-line/object transform thing I showed. I was just pushing to see if I could get the keep c-line beefed up, because what you are showing is "just make a new c-line" which works fine.

Kindof like asking to have the BoundingBox command have an axis directional method added. I think that kind of tinkering just needs to wait, because it can be acheived by rotating the part, instead of making the command do the rotation.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Don't work out of this validity aera! ?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options