Filters

Next
Hi Michael,

Having a MoI session and noticed when filtering Edges they aren't selectable when a curve is laying on top of it, is this correct? Is it a limitation?

The other thing that I mentioned a little while ago about not being able to select edges when the Extrude command was executed first, I can't remember if that was resolved? it's happening again.

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5732.2 In reply to 5732.1 
Hi Danny,

> Having a MoI session and noticed when filtering Edges they aren't selectable when
> a curve is laying on top of it, is this correct? Is it a limitation?

It's a limitation (or "bug" I guess) in the current mechanism - basically in some hit testing data curves obscure the edges even though later on they are not targeted for selection themselves. I can probably fix this up by screening the curves out of the hit test data instead of only getting screened out during the targeting step, I'll give it a try.

At the moment if you do a window select (even just a small crossing right-to-left one) they should be found though I think.

> The other thing that I mentioned a little while ago about not being able to select edges when
> the Extrude command was executed first, I can't remember if that was resolved? it's
> happening again.

I can't remember any details about that right now. Can you walk me through the steps to reproduce the problem again?

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5732.3 In reply to 5732.2 
Hi Michael,

RE: Window select. That works, thanks.

In regards to the Extrude command, if you execute the Extrude command first then try and pick edges on a surface you can't drill down further to pick an edge, in saying that, turning on the edge filter works in picking edges.

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5732.4 In reply to 5732.3 
Hi Danny,

> In regards to the Extrude command, if you execute the Extrude command first then try and
> pick edges on a surface you can't drill down further to pick an edge, in saying that, turning
> on the edge filter works in picking edges.

I can't seem to make that happen over here.

Is it possible you have the surface selected before you did the Extrude command? Because the extrude command can take as input either curves/edges or also single surfaces as the thing to extrude. If you have a surface preselected it will use it as the prepick input and not ask you for anything else.

Here's what I tried - start with an empty scene, draw a plane, leave it unselected. Now run Construct > Extrude. Since there is nothing preselected it will ask you to post pick the inputs, I don't seem to have any problem at this point doing drill-in selection to select edges. Are you doing a different sequence than that?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5732.5 In reply to 5732.1 
Hi Danny,

The one for "when filtering Edges they aren't selectable when a curve is laying on top of it," I have got fixed now for the next v3 beta.

It will do a more complete job of skipping over curves that have been filtered out so that they won't obscure edges from being selected.

Thanks for reporting this filter bug.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5732.6 In reply to 5732.4 
Hi Michael,

I see, it's okay with single surfaces. It seems when the edges are shared it doesn't work.

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5732.7 In reply to 5732.6 
Hi Danny, ok I can reproduce it now, that looks like a post pick bug.

It has to do with the selection conditions for extrude - extrude is looking for curves (or edges) or faces (or single-face breps) as the inputs, but it does not accept general multi-face "whole object" breps. So when you go click on a face it stops right there and accepts just the face as the selection target rather than selecting the whole object.

I'll look into fixing this, but this one may be a bit tricker than the other one.

Basically because the Extrude command is not looking for general full objects it sort of automatically drills in right away instead of letting the top level object get selected. But because when you click on a brep you are really initially clicking on faces (just because those are the things that make up the real "meat" as far as screen coverage of the brep) the auto-drill-in only happens for faces.

Or at least I think it's something along those lines, I will need to investigate a bit more.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5732.8 In reply to 5732.7 
Hi Michael,

Just tried this in V2 and it works as expected is this related to the change over to the new WebKit/JavaScriptCore for the UI?

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5732.9 In reply to 5732.8 
Hi Danny, hmm that's funny that it works ok in v2. That will probably help me to track down a fix.

> Just tried this in V2 and it works as expected is this related to the change over to
> the new WebKit/JavaScriptCore for the UI?

No, it's pretty unlikely to have anything to do with that, all that UI stuff is pretty unrelated to selection logic.

It's probably changed due to fixing some other selection bug or new feature work like implementing filters and it had an unintentional side effect.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5732.10 In reply to 5732.8 
Hi Danny, that helped a lot to know that it worked ok in v2.

I tracked it down to a selection change for the Flow command - for surface to surface Flow it needs to pick individual faces for the base surface and target surface and since at that stage it knows that it only wants faces the selection goes into a kind of "auto drill-in" mode so that faces are directly targeted with a single click without needing to select the top level object first.

That same thing is kicking in for extrude and causing this regression. Now that I know the particular thing that caused it I should be able to fix it up. Thanks for reporting it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5732.11 In reply to 5732.10 
Hi Michael,

> Thanks for reporting it.

No problem, glad to help out for a quality product :)

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All