Very cool, Planar Tool works also on non-planar poly lines... :)

Next
Hi Michael and all,

i just did a small test with imported closed lines from your Converter forming a Voronoi cell and to my big surprise the Planar command can form non-planar surfaces out of it! That's pretty cool and if i had known this before i would had done some little Voronoi stuff also in MoI.

Best regards
Stefan

EDITED: 4 Nov 2016 by STEFAN

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5723.2 In reply to 5723.1 
Hi Stefan, that's basically a bug, it's related to your input curves being particularly small in size.

The generated plane is within tolerance at such a small size, but if you were to scale the object up it would be problematic because the underlying surface is just a simple 4 point plane but the edges of its trimming boundaries would be quite a big distance away from it, probably making poor results if they were used in some other kinds of calculations after that.

So it's probably not something to rely on, and you probably should scale up your curves so they're not so teeny-tiny before running Planar on them.

The Planar command is supposed to be using a size-relative tolerance for determining planarity but it looks like something is ending up using an absolute tolerance instead.

If things were working as intended you would not actually get a surface generated on that one fairly non-planar loop.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5723.3 In reply to 5723.1 
Hi Stefan, also it looks like whatever was broken with the relative tolerance factor for this case seems to be fixed in my current development version because I can't get that one surface to be created anymore.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi Michael,

thanks a lot for your explanation, much appreciated! I also scaled the created cell up by a large factor and then imported it as a test in an old copy of ViaCAD and it looks really messy. My idea was (the cells form the Stanford Bunny 25cm in size and 2500 cells) to filled or chamfer them and then boolean them together, so that it would look similar to a cobble stone surface on the bunny. But that is not working, but no problem since this was only an experiment.

Best regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All