Sim Lab composer

Next
Hi all,

I think this has been discussed earlier but I cannot locate it.

When I export files and then bring them into SimLab Composer I get hundreds of pieces that seem to have no color reference to the original MoI file and no name reference, either.

I have tried obj,step and iges but this seems to be true of all of them.

I do have one file from a couple of months ago that seems to have all of the correct colors imported so I am sure it is possible but I cannot get it to work now.

Any hints?

thanks
eric

oops! never mind ... not sure yet what I did but it worked this time. I am sure I can repeat the process properly.

EDITED: 16 Feb 2013 by ERICCLOUGH

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5719.2 In reply to 5719.1 
Hi eric, let me know if you run into problems again.

You probably would want to use OBJ format for going into SimLab Composer, and colors should come through unless the stuff involving writing materials out to the OBJ file has been turned off. Those settings are under Options > Import/Export > OBJ options > "Write material assignments" and "Write .mtl file". You want to have both of those turned on (which is the default) for that stuff to go through.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5719.3 In reply to 5719.2 
Hi Michael ...

I am now having no trouble exporting to SimLab.

I do want to be able to add trees into my models and found a couple of pretty good libraries but they seem to be mostly available as .obj files.

I want to import an .obj file (the model of a tree) and, of course, cannot import it directly into MoI ... so I imported it into Rhino, exploded it, and saved it as a .3dm file ... then tried to open it in MoI. No luck. Is that because MoI won't import Rhino meshes?

Is there another way around this?

Or do you know of any landscape materials (trees and shrubs) available in .3dm format?

thanks,
eric

EDITED: 18 Feb 2013 by ERICCLOUGH

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All