Incremental angle.
All  1-6  7-14

Previous
Next
5712.7 In reply to 5712.6 
Hi Michael,

> I think that would be problematic to have a different snap setting for every command individually.

I was thinking only for Lines not all commands seeing that we use lines the most for base construction of models.

This is how I was picturing it.

Not a problem Snap angle setting in the options will do nicely.

Cheers
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5712.8 In reply to 5712.7 
Hi Danny,

> I was thinking only for Lines not all commands seeing that we use lines the most for base construction of models.
>
> This is how I was picturing it.

It's hard to do that without breaking consistent operation - why just lines and not polylines and construction lines for example?

Also too much redundancy can be problematic - you can currently set it globally and also for a one shot override. Adding in more related settings increases overall complexity related to snapping, there would then be 3 different possible ways that the angle could be set for the case of drawing a line, and there would actually be 2 different angle controls showing at the same time, one on the bottom toolbar and then a second one in the line options area...

Too many settings all piling onto the same function can tend to lead to confusion about which one is supposed to be used.

It could be possible to set up a keyboard shortcut with a script that would toggle between some predefined angles, like switch the global snap angle from 90 degrees to 5 degrees or back again on every keystroke. Let me know if you would like a script that does that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5712.9 In reply to 5712.7 
Danny.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

Martin (2).

Edit: But Michael beat me to it and replied first.

EDITED: 14 Feb 2013 by BLOWLAMP

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5712.10 In reply to 5712.8 
Hi Michael,

> why just lines and not polylines
> and construction lines for example?

I did mean the whole Lines Menu including Line and Polyline, I didn't think of construction lines as I use them off existing lines.

> Too many settings all piling onto the same
> function can tend to lead to confusion
> about which one is supposed to be used.

That's where I thought the tick box would come in where it would override the global setting to avoid the piling up.

> It could be possible to set up a keyboard shortcut........

Let me use the Snap angle method in the options for a little and if it doesn't gel I'll ask for a toggle script.

Thanks for looking into it.
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5712.11 In reply to 5712.10 
Hi Danny,

> That's where I thought the tick box would come in where it would override the global setting to avoid the piling up.

Ok, but what if you set the tick box on, and entered in a value there, and then went to the angle constraint control on the bottom toolbar and entered in a different value for the one-shot angle constraint down there, what should then be taken as the current angle snap in that situation?

Basically there is already a method to override the global snap using the angle constraint method. Trying to make 2 methods of overriding it then brings up the question which of these overrides has precedence over the other override.

The pile up is more about having 2 override methods fighting with one another, not about one override and the global one.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5712.12 In reply to 5712.11 
Hi Michael,

> Ok, but what if you set the tick box on,
> and entered in a value there, and then
> went to the angle constraint control on
> the bottom toolbar

You wouldn't have to use the bottom toolbar anymore for Lines you just enter the value in the new field and your line or polyline will snap at that increment value all the time, untick it and you have global snaps back.

Anyhow as I mentioned above I'm changing the Snap angle in the options and it's okay.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5712.13 In reply to 5712.12 
Hi Danny,

> You wouldn't have to use the bottom toolbar anymore for Lines you just enter the value
> in the new field and your line or polyline will snap at that increment value all the time,
> untick it and you have global snaps back.

Yeah but I still have to account for the fact that the bottom toolbar one exists, what if someone did try to use it? How would someone know that they were supposed to ignore the bottom toolbar one in that one specific line drawing case but then actually use the bottom toolbar one for all other cases? These are some of the issues trying to implement what you were previously describing.

It's not easy for someone when seeing 2 different areas to enter in seemingly similar values (like a snap angle override) to know that under some particular circumstance they are supposed to ignore one of them...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5712.14 In reply to 5712.13 
Hi Michael,

> It's not easy for someone when seeing 2 different areas to enter in seemingly similar values

A lot of CAD programs do have 'either or' situations, it's up to the individual to decide which method is more comfortable for them.

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-14