Object name
 1-20  21-34

Previous
Next
5710.21 In reply to 5710.19 
ok for example we have 6 pices of geometry - 1,2,3 and they are cymetricale mirrored. So If we apply script you make previousley to name unnamed object we will have 6 objects - object 1, object 2... object 6.

Obj 1 - Obj 2
Obj 3 - Obj 4
Obj 5 - Obj 6

For example we want to color model in render soft in 3 colors symetrically. 1-2 Red, 3-4 Green, 5-6 Blue. An we have to make 6 action to assign it to all 6 objects.

But If we assigne objects name this way:

Obj 1 - Obj 1
Obj 2 - Obj 2
Obj 3 - Obj 3

We have to make only 3 action assigning materials.

When work with big models it becomes more comfartable to work this way, becouse you can see result emidiatly.

If we assign styles instead of object names we have to find it among other it can achive 300 styles and more to change it. And if for example we want to to assign the same material to another object. We have to find the style of this object and make it the same. Or we can assign this material to object we want and in this case it's good to have the object named as I described previousle.

So thats why I prefer to not impor styles, and start to create it from scratch in render soft. To assign it to selected objects.

One thing I do every time when I prepare model for rendering. I devide model on 2 pices symetrically and delet one half. After that I name the same name repeated geometry on this half of model. Name it and hide to see what remain. And when I named all repeated objects I aply this script to name unnamed geometry. Then mirror model.
So every time I named geometry I spend a lot of time typing name of objects. So thats why I'm asking for script to name the same name selected geometry automaticly.

Hope you understand my problem, thre are a lot of nuances rendering big models. You can discover them only when you work on this.

EDITED: 3 Mar 2013 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.22 In reply to 5710.20 
Hay Michael, thank you a lot! But I wanted that all selected geometry have the same name!
Make this small change and I will love you)))!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.23 In reply to 5710.21 
Hi mir4ea, I'm sorry but I'm still having some difficulty following along. I think you mean you want the script to work in the other way that I mentioned though, that all the selection would get the same unique name assigned to it, is that correct?

> When work with big models it becomes more comfartable to
> work this way, becouse you can see result emidiatly.

How is it that you see the result immediately? If you were using styles you could see right away that the objects have the same display color...

> And if for example we want to to assign thу same material to another
> object. We have to find the style of this object and make it the same.

Ok, but doesn't your rendering program have some material management tools in it to help with this, something like "match object material to next picked object" or something like that.

Or are you talking about doing that "make the style the same as another object" operation in MoI? If so then I could make a tool for you to help with doing that by selection in MoI as well.

If you have some specific problems like that with styles could a couple of extra style assignment by picking tools fix that up? It should be better if you could use styles as materials, that's what they're intended to be used for.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.24 In reply to 5710.22 
Hi mir4ea,

> Hay Michael, thank you a lot! But I wanted that all selected geometry have the same name!
> Make this small change and I will love you)))!

Ok, I'll give that a try - it does help if you give a little bit more details about exactly how the script should work! ;)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.25 In reply to 5710.23 
"Hi mir4ea, I'm sorry but I'm still having some difficulty following along. I think you mean you want the script to work in the other way that I mentioned though, that all the selection would get the same unique name assigned to it, is that correct?"

Yes exactly!
For example I have 3 pices of geometry - 1,2,3. I want select them all and push shurtcut to make them one object with unic name :)
Sorry I have to discribe it this way from the start...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.26 In reply to 5710.22 
Ok, I think this one has the automatic naming how you want it:

script: /* Assign unique object name to selection */ var all_objects = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects(); var used_names = new Array(); for ( var i = 0; i < all_objects.length; ++i ) { var obj = all_objects.item(i); if ( obj.name != '' ) { used_names[obj.name] = true; } } var counter = 1; var name; while ( 1 ) { var numtag = counter.toString(); while ( numtag.length < 4 ) { numtag = '0' + numtag; } name = 'object_' + numtag; if ( used_names[name] ) { ++counter; continue; } used_names[name] = true; break; } moi.geometryDatabase.getSelectedObjects().setProperty( 'name', name );
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.27 In reply to 5710.26 
Wow thank you a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry I more concept artist less programmer and some times I cann not discribe clearly what I want!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.28 In reply to 5710.25 
I still don't understand though why you don't want to use styles, like why if you have a difficulty matching styles why you wouldn't ask for script to help with that part, and why you were saying before that you can't assign one material to multiple objects ??

Instead of 300 styles you end up with 300 object names and then have to set up all material assignments over again in your renderer and you end up with the same 300 materials in the end don't you?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.29 In reply to 5710.28 
Ok I will try to discribe it in few words.
Look at this model it has about 300 objects and 20 materials in C4D. (All the same geometry have the same name, like details on the legs it repeats 4 times on each leg)
But when I export obj from moi I have no any ideas how to color it and if I wanted to work with styles like you sugest I will have 300 styles.
In Cinema 4D, If you have 300 materials it's hard to work becouse if you click on the object it not show it's style automaticly like in keyshot. It just have indication among other 300 materials, and you have to find it. It's thousands time easy have 300 objects and then assign materials working in Cinema 4D. Keyshot automaticly creates material for every objects, so if you have 300 objects you will have 300 materials. But in cinema 4d it's possible to have 300 objects and have no any material.

"and why you were saying before that you can't assign one material to multiple objects ??"
You just missunderstood me, you can do it.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.30 In reply to 5710.29 
Hi mir4ea, but if you want to end up with 20 materials in C4D then you would only need to create 20 styles in MoI to do that.

You would create one style in MoI for each material that you want to have in C4D - then when you export to C4D using OBJ format the styles list will become the materials list in Cinema4D and style assignments will become material assignments.

If you only want 20 materials that are shared by many objects, you would also create 20 styles in MoI with many objects sharing the same style as well. You would only end up with 300 styles in MoI if you tried to create one style per object - so don't do that, instead create one style per final material that you want and have every object that should be on that material to be assigned to that style.

So I don't understand this part about having 300 styles - if you want to have 20 materials in C4D you should be creating just 20 styles, the styles list in Moi becomes the materials list in the OBJ file, just use styles the same as you are using materials in Cinema4D...

... Ok, I guess maybe what you are saying is that you don't want to decide anything at all about visual appearance or materials (other than that some objects that are mirrored from one another should have equal appearance) until you're actually totally finished with the modeling and you don't want to even start to think about the final materials until you are in your rendering program and done with MoI, is that it?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.31 In reply to 5710.30 
"... Ok, I guess maybe what you are saying is that you don't want to decide anything at all about visual appearance or materials (other than that some objects that are mirrored from one another should have equal appearance) until you're actually totally finished with the modeling and you don't want to even start to think about the final materials until you are in your rendering program and done with MoI, is that it?"

Yes Michael exactly!
Thats why I say about 300 styles becouse I want to have absolute freedom coloring model in render soft. I'm not that person that now in advance how the model will look. For example with this spider I have one idea how to color it but when I started to color I understood that it look bad. And I started to look for another color gamma and how to color another objects. Unfortunatley in moi I can not deside wich color I will use and on wich object.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.32 In reply to 5710.31 
Hi mir4ea, ok I finally understand now.

Yes - in order to use styles in MoI how they're intended that would involve deciding how you wanted materials set up while you were still in MoI. If you do not want to plan or decide anything about it inside of MoI then yeah using Styles won't really work properly since it is intended that your styles list should be your materials list and not just a separate style for every individual object.

I guess most of the time people have at least some idea for how they were thinking the materials would go, and if you have that about 75% right or so then it can still be useful to set up styles for the stuff you're pretty sure you want to have on separate materials and then finish it up later in the rendering program. But yes that still involves making some decisions about the materials structure while you are still in MoI.

So ok, thanks for explaining your process more at least I understand now! Of course if you were able to make some decisions earlier in your process about the materials setup then that could possibly save time down the road too...

Anyway I'm glad I was able to get that script done for you to help out your current process some at least! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5710.33 In reply to 5710.32 
I'm glad too, becouse I could discribe my process. Yes the core thing is that I want to start coloring from scratch in render software, that's why I need model with all uniq objects and combined objects.
Talking with you I can think about my workflow and discribe it I never think about it just follow it. May be it's not comon way, but it works very good for me. My be some people find it usefull too)

I wanted to tell you thanks once again, I never meet so patient person in support domain! From now I have exclusive script and I have to say it will save a lot of my time)

Every time I post my works on different forums I alwas mentioned about whot program I used, so common question is - wat is MOI 3D? Unfortunatly not so many people know about MOI. Every time I tell people that it is very powerfull little pice of software. But many of them think it's not so famous so it's not worth to try. In many forums like sgsociety and other there is no MOI 3D in list of programs that spicify under image whe upload. It's peatty becouse I think Moi is awaysome. I wish you to find some publisher/destributer that will make good promo for you) Or may be you satisfied with this deal as it is. Everything in your hand and under your control.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5710.34 In reply to 5710.33 
Hi mir4ea,

> I'm glad too, becouse I could discribe my process.

Well your process is definitely giving you some great results!

> Every time I post my works on different forums I alwas mentioned about whot program I used,
> so common question is - wat is MOI 3D? Unfortunatly not so many people know about MOI.
> Every time I tell people that it is very powerfull little pice of software. <....>

Thanks very much for doing this, I really appreciate it! This is a big help for me since I mostly rely on people talking like this in order to get news about the software out.

> I wish you to find some publisher/destributer that will make good promo for you) Or may
> be you satisfied with this deal as it is. Everything in your hand and under your control.

I do want things to grow some more (in reaching more people to use the software), but yes at the same time I do actually like having things at a small enough scale where I'm able to operate by myself, it just keeps things more fun and interesting really.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-34