Request - Better hidden edges when selected

Next
Hi Michael,

As you noticed I'm working on complex models and I often scale things (1D) with the hidden edges shown from ortho views, so there's a lot of lines showing (example here)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44982094/Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202013-02-07%20%C3%A0%2015.05.51.PNG

So I often fail to see which line is the end of my object

It would be awesome to display all the hidden lines of the selected object (shown in red) into another color or maybe flashing or darker and thicker lines.

Would make my life much easier :)

Cheers, thanks again for that awesome software, without MoI I couldn't be so efficient and precise !
--
shapenoid.com stojan-voumard.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5702.2 In reply to 5702.1 
Hi DesuDeus, something like flashing or a really striking color like red would probably be really distracting in regular operation. Like for example if you're working on a box in the 3D view it would look pretty weird in that case if the hidden lines were pulsating at you.

What about if there was a mode you could turn on where only the hidden edges of just the selected objects were displayed at all, would that solve this problem for you?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yes a toggle would be super cool, so you could initiate a command (like scale) then toggle only selection hidden edges or all hidden edges :)

I often use the perspective view to avoir this kind of "what edge is what object" thing
--
shapenoid.com stojan-voumard.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That's a pretty good idea, Michael.

I think there maybe something else you could try too:

I don't use the 'dashed' hidden lines, I've told the .ini to make them solid, so I have a cleaner image. The dashes are distracting to me.

Instead of red or some color like that, you could follow suit the way you've done with the other different types of selections.
Either with color or transparency level.

Let's say; your selected object could have hidden lines that are 50% transparent, and all non-selected objects could be set to show a slightly visible 20%.

Or, the selected hidden lines could have a special hidden-line-selected color that would inherently work with the chosen color scheme for selected objects.

Just some additional ideas.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5702.5 In reply to 5702.4 
Hi Mike,

> Let's say; your selected object could have hidden lines that are 50% transparent, and all
> non-selected objects could be set to show a slightly visible 20%.

The issue with this one is that transparent lines will get darker when there are more of them stacked up on top of one another, so it's difficult to guarantee that the non-selected ones would all be at a uniform 20% only.

> Or, the selected hidden lines could have a special hidden-line-selected color that would
> inherently work with the chosen color scheme for selected objects.

This one has the problem that just in general attaching special meaning to certain colors tends to make it difficult to then also use colors for organization purposes. I try pretty hard to only use color indicators for a small number of things like selection so that you have most colors available for your own use instead of taken up with other meanings.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All