Peopeller blade
 1  2-21  22-29

Previous
Next
5700.2 In reply to 5700.1 
Can you attach the drawing as a .7z compressed file?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.3 In reply to 5700.1 
Hi AirAce - to make an attachment you push this button here (which is at the bottom of the editable area when you make a new message):

That will then pop up a new window. It could be possible that some web browsers or browser add-ons may block what they call "pop-ups" that open in new windows like this. If that's the problem there is usually some method to say something like "make an exception and allow pop-up windows on this particular site" which you might need to turn on. The attachment pop-up window will look like this:

Then to do the attachment you do a 2 step process - first you push this "Browse" button to fill in which file you want to send:

Then push this "Upload" button to actually send the file over to the server:

Wait until it's finished, there will be a message shown at the top of the dialog when it is all finished sending. Once it is finished you can close the popup window and return back to the main message window. You do not want to close the main message window while the pop up is showing, finish with the pop-up first

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.4 In reply to 5700.1 
Hi AirAce, re: "It would be nice if I knew exactly where to start."

The starting point will probably be initially getting the cross-section curves drawn. If you have some images you can use them as a background reference by using the View > Image command to place them. See here for an example: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4506.1

Once you have created curves for each station you can then use the Construct > Loft command to build a surface through them.

It may actually be easier to initially construct a totally untwisted flat version and then use the Transform > Deform > Twist command to apply a twist to the shape, rather than trying to directly model the twisted form directly in place. The Twist command is a new feature for v3 though, it is not present in the v2 trial version, only in the v3 beta version (or the v2.52 Mac version) which is available to existing customers.

So it's possible that the current v2 trial won't give you the best tool to use for this quite yet.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.5 In reply to 5700.2 
I don't think so. I can only scan it and attach. I think it will be a .jpg file. But thanks anyway.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.6 In reply to 5700.4 
Thanks, I reckon I will just go ahead and buy the Version 3 instead of wasting time on the freebe.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.7 In reply to 5700.6 
I tried again to upload but I don't see it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Maybe all I really need from you guys is, do you think Moi3D is the right program for my propeller blade? Or does anyone know of a better one?
Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.9 In reply to 5700.7 
Hi AirAce,

> I tried again to upload but I don't see it.

You don't see what exactly? Do you see the "Attachment" button but when you push it you don't see the pop-up? Does your web browser display any notification bubble like "Popup blocked, click here to allow" or anything similar to that?

If you are still having problems you can e-mail the image to me at moi@moi3d.com and I will then post it here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.10 In reply to 5700.8 
Hi AirAce,

> Maybe all I really need from you guys is, do you think Moi3D is the right program for my propeller blade?

It's possible to do it, but MoI is not specifically designed for just doing propellers, it's more of a general purpose modeling tool and propellers are pretty advanced and difficult shapes to create so it's not like you will be able to just instantly jump in and finish a difficult and advanced model like that by pushing a few buttons... You'll have to spend some time just getting familiar with how to build models in general and probably you'll need to start out with doing more simple things to begin with rather than trying a difficult shape as your starting project.

Here are a few previous discussion threads which you may want to check out though:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4144.1
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1694.1
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=305.1
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=302.1#a302_1
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=578.1

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.11 In reply to 5700.8 
Hi Kent, I've attached the PDF that you e-mailed to me here.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
And in order to get those images into MoI as a background image you'll need to convert them to a bitmap file format like PNG or JPEG format, then you'll be able to bring them in as a background image using the View > Image command so that you can trace over them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I think the points for the stations could be imported using the ImportPointFile script. (?)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.14 In reply to 5700.13 
Here is a txt file of the Station 18 points, tab delimited, created by entering the x,y,z points in notepad++, and using ImportPointFile script to load them into MoI.
Shown are the points, imported once, and secondly entering the points as through points.
Note that the second set of Y coordinates had to be entered in reverse order.

EDITED: 19 Feb 2014 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.15 In reply to 5700.14 
Hi AirAce,

Just a brief comment on your question of whether or not this is the program for you to use to design your propellers:

I can't answer that - guess it depends on your time & what may be the most intuitive workflow for you - but about ½ a year ago I was searching for a 3D modeling program to do the modeling I would like to do. I searched and tried some 3D programs including Modo, Autodesk 123D, and a couple more but chose Moi3D because to me it was quite intuitive and straightforward to use. Within a few hours of learning I was actually able to make some models that shape-wise were quite realistic (I opted out of photorealism when not choosing Modo) and which could be 3D printed (my need so far) due to the selection of export file formats.

Since then I've put more time into learning the program and although there are still pitfalls and aspects I do not (yet?) know about I am reasonably confident that I can get quite far in my modeling - and then learn what I need to know if there's something I can't make work.

Also - when choosing the program - the price was within my reach and when I had some challenges with the models I was doing (with the trial version) I received very good help here in the forums.

So - those were some of my criteria for selecting Moi3D. Good luck in selecting your way in modeling :-)

Best regards,

Jesper
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.16 In reply to 5700.15 
Thanks Jasper, good input. I am pretty sure this program will do the job. A propeller blade does not have any "insode" 3d surfaces that a machine would have to deal with.

I have been disappointed with some of the othe CAD programs I've bought. I have used AutoCAD, FreeCAD and I now have Alibre. Alibre may well do the job. But it is so painful to try to learn it.

The CAD program that I like best of all is E-machineshop. Too bad you can't buy it and use it at home. You have to order your parts from them, that is, the company that furnishes the CAD program.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.17 In reply to 5700.14 
Soon as I learn how to do this I think I will be making some real progress.
Thanks much.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
You will be able to create the propeller blade Ok with MoI's tools by lofting between cross sections, using network or doing a two rail sweep. Where you will run into problems is creating the end tip of the propeller blade. I don't think you'll find an effective way to do that with MoI's tools and making it blend into the rest of propeller surface seamlessly.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.19 In reply to 5700.18 
It will certainly make whatever you can draw!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.20 In reply to 5700.14 
Did you just type in those numbers in notepad? And then just import that into the CAD program?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5700.21 In reply to 5700.18 
Please excuse my ignorance for not being a computer guru.
Can you tell me how to use a network or a two rail sweep.

Both ends of the propeller blade will be hand finished after removing it from the router.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1  2-21  22-29