Space objects evenly?

Next
I searched for this and found some discussion, but no solution.

I have 8 objects that are similar in size and shape (basically some "charms" for a necklace design). I want to space them evenly so I can add a ring between each one to connect them together.
They're already built, so I don't want to use Array. So is there a way for me to easily separate them by the exact same about of space?

Thanks,

Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5695.2 In reply to 5695.1 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5695.3 In reply to 5695.1 
Hi Paul,

> They're already built, so I don't want to use Array. So is there a way for me to
> easily separate them by the exact same about of space?

There is not currently any command for equalizing the spacing between already existing objects, so you will need to do that manually.

Depending on what you're dealing with there are various ways you could go about it - one possibility would be to array a placeholder shape like a circle to get the circles arranged how you want, and then move each shape to the center of its matching circle.

There are also different possible ways to actually define what the "amount of space" between objects actually is. If you mean equal space between their bounding boxes, then to do that you might want to use the BoundingBox command to create the box around each object, then draw a line and copy that line and in the top view snap the line on to each box edge so that you have the kind of spacing you want.

To run BoundingBox you need to set it up on a keyboard shortcut:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#boundingbox

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5695.4 In reply to 5695.2 
Hmm.. I must not be doing something right. I downloaded and installed shiftarray and tried it on my objects but after picking a base point and offset point, nothing happens.

I'm not talking about doing something with an array, I just have 8 solid objects that I want to evenly space. I don't want to do anything else to them.

I suppose I could just do this manually by creating a simple line and using it to snap each object to the same spacing since there's only 8 of them.

-Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5695.5 In reply to 5695.4 
Hi Paul,

> I suppose I could just do this manually by creating a simple line and using it to snap
> each object to the same spacing since there's only 8 of them.

Yup, that's what you will need to do for this. Check out above for some advice (BoundingBox command may help you with snapping), you may have been posting your message at the same time as my reply above and missed it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All