working between MoI and ViaCAD, whats the best file format to use?

Next
using Step at the moment , just checking if it's the best option.
(at this stage using ViaCAD for Filleting and Tangent Cover Surfaces )

Cheers, Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5685.2 In reply to 5685.1 
Hi Steve, each format can have it's own quirks in particular situations so there probably isn't a single format that will always be guaranteed to be the best.

Generally it's best though if there is not a whole lot of additional geometry processing and calculation happening during the translation, and I think possibly SAT format may give the closest to that, since that's the native format of the ACIS geometry library that ViaCAD is based on.

Probably try to turn off any "heal" options, as those increase the amount of processing that is done.

I think the issue with STEP format is that only the 3D edge curve data is transferred through, meaning that the UV parameter space curves need to be calculated by the receiving application and that can be tricky when the 3D curves are right along the "seam" edge of a closed surface.

But you still may run into situations where you'll need to try some other format if you run into a problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5685.3 In reply to 5685.2 
Hi Michael

Hmmm sounds a bit hot miss, was playing with a shape, found that I could import in viscad via tsp, OK, but exporting back via stp resulted in a broken model in MoI, found SAT version 8 seems most reliable , does this sound right? viacad has export version for sat from 1.5 to 21

cheers, steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5685.4 In reply to 5685.3 
Hi steve,

> found SAT version 8 seems most reliable , does this sound right?

I think so, probably the best to try first anyway. It's still possible that you may need to use a different format if you run into a problem. Like I wrote above each format has different quirks about it. Some particular models may run into different quirks.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I had been better result with step on complex files, also retain objects names so is easier to organize them

Luis G.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi folks,

I had been using SAT to work between MoI and ViaCAD, then just the other day I had made a fully associated model of a ring in ViaCAD Pro v7, exported SAT, opened in MoI and it was broken down showing only one surface. I then used STEP out of ViaCAD of the same ring model and it opened in MoI as a single solid body.

I don't think I would limit myself to one-way import/export methods between any systems.

Maybe I'll get a government grant to study the lunar phases effects on CAD systems! :-)

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5685.7 In reply to 5685.6 
When you export SAT out from ViaCAD, make sure you set it to an older version like ACIS V8 or V4 - that should help avoid it writing out specialized types of ACIS objects that the MoI importer does not understand. The MoI importer only knows how to handle regular NURBS surfaces, if it runs into something that's stored as a special "vertex blend surface" for example it won't know how to recreate that type of object.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Michael G.

V8.0 worked well, but V4.0 came into MoI pretty funky.

Thanks again for the great support!

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I thought I'd add my $0.02. ㋡

So far (bought ViaCAD not so long ago, after reading that Michael recommends it for its powerful fillets), these file formats give me the best results:

• Exporting SAT from MoI to ViaCAD.

• Exporting STP from ViaCAD to MoI.

It's easy to remember: importing SAT has no options in ViaCAD, and exporting STP from ViaCAD also doesn't have options.

Exporting SAT V8 from ViaCAD caused a model of mine to have some open sides after importing it into MoI, while exporting the same model as STP from ViaCAD resulted in a perfect solid.

All the best,

Metin

EDITED: 8 Oct 2014 by SEVENSHEAVEN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5685.10 In reply to 5685.9 
...incidentally, if anybody is interested in purchasing/upgrading ViaCAD in the near future, there is an older(Feb.2014) but still valid Promotion Code 50OFF, which will give you a smashing 50% discount on your purchase(s) there.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ouch, that reminds me of just having bought ViaCAD when 5 minutes later I received a 20% discount code in my emailbox. ㋡

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) modeling • animation • artwork • design • illustration • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5685.12 In reply to 5685.11 
yep, they are very generous with those promotion things. 25% off for newsletter registration and the like..considering that their products are quite value for money to begin with, those promos make them just ridiculous price-wise.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I totally agree. That's why I decided not to approach them regarding the missed discount.

EDITED: 8 Oct 2014 by SEVENSHEAVEN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I'm sorry but I think ViaCAD is so ugly to work with that I had to format my PC to be sure of getting rid of every single piece of it.
Max.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5685.15 In reply to 5685.14 
㋡ ㋡ ㋡

I agree that ViaCAD's interface / workflow / navigation could be much user-friendlier. But I'm quite impressed by their fillet algorithms.

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) modeling • animation • artwork • design • illustration • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All