pinch to zoom and such
All  1  2-12

Previous
Next
5671.2 In reply to 5671.1 
Hi Isaiah, you are talking about Windows here, right?

> I noticed that pinch zoom works in the viewports of both V2
> and Beta V3 using a multitouch screen..

My guess is that it's probably sending a scroll wheel message. Right now there is not any parameter set up to adjust the speed at which MoI zooms in response to a mouse scroll wheel.

I do have multitouch view navigation set up for the next beta but currently only for the Mac, which seems to have more general support for it like every laptop supports it on the trackpad.

I'd like to add it in for Windows too but I have not yet been able to find any way for me to test it without getting a new touch screen monitor. I was hoping to be able to just get a little external trackpad and work with that, and I got a new Logitech one but it does not generate any WM_TOUCH messages, as far as I could tell the trackpad driver only sends things like scroll wheel messages and does not generate any direct multi-touch information to applications.

Let me know if you are aware of any kind of multi-touch trackpad device that I could get to test setting up multi-touch view manipulation on Windows 7, I looked around for a while and was not able to find anything.

The way the next beta will work for the Mac is pinching does zoom-in/zoom-out, two fingers moving does panning and 3 fingers moving does rotation. I don't think it's possible to do 1-finger rotation because 1 finger movement will already be used for moving the mouse cursor. That's one thing that's a little different on a desktop system versus iPad where there does not exist that concept of a mouse cursor.

Anyway I would like to set up multi-touch view navigation for Windows too but I was hoping to just buy some little device to test it instead of an entire big monitor or a brand new laptop machine.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5671.3 In reply to 5671.2 
hi michael!

did you try this one? it's a bit DIY, but nevertheless

https://multitouchvista.codeplex.com/

"multitouch vista has two parts : the input manager and the driver. the driver is just a universal hid compliant device that takes input from multitouchvista input manager and sends it to windows (wm_touch). multitouch vista input manager then takes two possible inputs (multiple mice or TUIO). "

"MTVista takes x,y from mice (multimice mode) or TUIO data (x,y, speed,… in TUIO mode) and sends it to the driver, then windows interprets them as wm_touch as this is what the driver is supposed to output…"

http://www.tuio.org/?software

there are various TUIO Tracker Implementations available, but sadly enough not for the Logitech Touchpad (at the moment)..but there are apps for android/wacom bamboo/iphone

another solution would be something like

http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-touch2

from mimomonitors.com

all the best,
marco

EDITED: 26 Jan 2013 by MARCO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5671.4 In reply to 5671.3 
Hi marco,

> did you try this one? it's a bit DIY, but nevertheless

I did not try that one since it seemed sort of hack-ish, I think it would be hard to do a good job actually testing the real multi-touch behavior when doing something very different like trying to use 2 mice, it just won't match the same mechanics very well.

> another solution would be something like
>
> http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-touch2

I was really hoping not to get an whole additional monitor that I'd then have to find someplace to keep... Although that looks like a small one - I'm not really sure how that works, does it work like a trackpad allowing to control the mouse cursor on a larger monitor or does the application have to fit on that little screen?

Also now that I've been hit once with the latest Logitech trackpad not actually giving real multitouch events I'd like to make sure that it really did generate them before getting it.

I'm not even sure if it actually does "multitouch", or if it only recognizes a single touching point like older touch screens did.

Do you have one of these?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Being a tad nieve on these things but wouldn't a windows 7 VMBox do what you want if set up on OSX with boot camp ?

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5671.6 In reply to 5671.5 
Hi Martin,

> Being a tad nieve on these things but wouldn't a windows 7 VMBox do
> what you want if set up on OSX with boot camp ?

Only if the Apple supplied driver for the trackpad had full multitouch features in it, which I believe it does not. Although that could change.

I really just want to be able to have a USB trackpad to plug in to my regular machine to test it, but that does not seem to exist currently.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5671.7 In reply to 5671.4 
hi michael!

yes, the multivista-tuio-workflow has a certain DIY-feel to it, but especially the apps for android and ios are quite usable to imitate multi-touch..i'm using this mainly to capture/use motion data via microsofts kinect

..and, no sorry, i don't have a MIMO, i have a rather sturdy 3M-development thingy...i guess, that only the capacitive displays(magic touch) are actually multi-touch but you can use them either way..display only/ touch only/ display&touch..i stumbled over them some time ago during a research for an interactive media piece, as they were USB-only..but the whole project went in another direction, so no hands-on experience

all the best,
marco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Is this the kind of thing you're looking for, Michael?

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/articles/win8-t650-gestures

Martin (2).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5671.9 In reply to 5671.8 
Hi Martin,

> Is this the kind of thing you're looking for, Michael?
>
> http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/articles/win8-t650-gestures

That's actually the one that I got already because I thought it would match what I need.

But at least their Windows 7 driver does not generate actual Multitouch events (WM_TOUCH events) for an actual touch-aware application to make use of, it only sends things like scroll wheel messages to applications, it's more based on trying to control non-touch-aware applications instead.

So it ended up being useless for me for testing multi-touch with.

Right now the support for multi-touch on Windows appears to be pretty spotty.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5671.10 In reply to 5671.2 
Michael,

I would be willing to lend my Samsung Ativ 700T with 10 Point Multitouch screen to you for testing and development if you are interested.. The device also has a Wacom penabled screen. I live in Tacoma so its not to much to meet you somewhere to get this in your hands.. I would really love to see multitouch in Moi for Windows. Seems developers are being slow to adapt even while most new computers are sporting the touch tech.

Let me know if your interested.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
5671.11 In reply to 5671.10 
Hi Isaiah, thanks yes that would be great, that would allow me to develop it without needing to purchase a whole monitor or completely new machine which I would then need to store somewhere.

Can you please contact me at moi@moi3d.com so we can work out the details?

> Seems developers are being slow to adapt even while most new computers are sporting the touch tech.

Probably partly because of this same issue that I've run into where there aren't any small USB devices that allow easy testing of it on a "build it yourself" type of machine.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
5671.12 In reply to 5671.10 
Wow ... now that's what i call devotion to the cause .... God bless you Isaiah for contributing something to help develop MoI

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-12